Hash, Inc. Forums

Rail of Light

jason1025

• Hash Fellow
Do you think we should make a feature request to be able add in addition to regular lights, neon or florescent style light bulbs?

agep's solution is the way A:M supports that need. "Any spline can be a light"

True area lights are time consuming to render and probably wouldn't be any faster than the multipass solution.

Do you think we should make a feature request to be able add in addition to regular lights, neon or florescent style light bulbs?

agep's solution is the way A:M supports that need. "Any spline can be a light"

True area lights are time consuming to render and probably wouldn't be any faster than the multipass solution.

Yes but I don't see the solution for animation just still frame. Remember we are using "Animation Master"

• Hash Fellow

you path constrain a light to a spline

you set its ease to traverse that spline in less than one frame and repeat that every frame

multipass renders the light at all the different points of the spline creating the effect of a non-point light.

The same technique is used for spinning light rigs and works fine for animation.

This is really a light "Array" but with the great convenience of not having to create numerous separate lights and the option to do quick tests with fewer passes.

Here's a page from a book in which they discuss true area lights and their downside even in a vastly more expensive app.

Thanks Robert.

I dont suppose you want to do a quick video tutorial. The concept of steps in a frame is hard for me to grasp. Maybe I need to see the process.

Just follow agep's instructions. Set the Action to "Repeat" however many times necessary for the length of your chor.

• Hash Fellow

Here's the non-action method:

After You got your light constrained to a path:

then set the ease to 0% at 0 seconds

100% at 1 second

100% at 5 seconds

easeBefore.png

grab it and squish it all down to 1 frame. Use CP settings to make the last one exactly at frame 1.

easeSquished.png

Then select it all again and RMB>Curve>PostExtrap Method>repeat

easeRepeated.png

render with multipass and motion blur set to 20%

the guide spline has been set to render as line to make it visible.

5 passes shows obvious stepping but gives a quick approximation

splinelight05_0.jpg

36 passes looks smooth

splinelight36_0.jpg

81 passes is only slightly different than 36

splinelight81_0.jpg

Wow never thought of doing lighting setups like this too much. Here is a quickie ring fluorescent light I created:

post-11793-1258083058_thumb.jpg

36pass

Photoman

Can you post the project and complete render settings?

Sure Ill post and example. Ill post one once I render it real fast, (dont expect High Quality)

Photoman

OK here is my try.

Ringlight_EXAMPLE.mov

16pass for 30 frames.

The light rig is just a ring with a bulb light moving around it. I set the cycle length of the action to .1 and to repeat 300 times (1:00 long). I rendered with 100 % motion blur though... didnt work without that on...

Project:

Light_Rig_EX.prj.zip

Photoman

OK here is my try.

Ringlight_EXAMPLE.mov

16pass for 30 frames.

The light rig is just a ring with a bulb light moving around it. I set the cycle length of the action to .1 and to repeat 300 times (1:00 long). I rendered with 100 % motion blur though... didnt work without that on...

Project:

Light_Rig_EX.prj.zip

Photoman

Thanks that helps