Hash, Inc. Forums

Testing my own modeling

Animus

I never did that much modeling characters.

I want to start a little bigger(little big? excuse my french) project, so maybe better and safer to own my characters.

I have tried to stay with a fairly low mesh density so far, hope it works for animating.

Do most people still apply decals on the face using flatten? I used it a few years ago, worked well, but this time I can't

find the way to apply the decal in the action window where I flatten the face.

I will rig them soon with 2008 rig to test the models.

portrait_Slim.jpg

portrait_Ben.jpg

Michel

Do most people still apply decals on the face using flatten? I used it a few years ago, worked well, but this time I can't

find the way to apply the decal in the action window where I flatten the face.

Flattening in an action still works (I think). Are you asking How to flatten? Or are you asking How to apply a decal in an action window?

Nice models!

I like the guy with the hat.

The face on both models looks like they would animate well, but I can't tell for the rest of the body.

If I have the time, maybe I can get an installation rig for the face ready, if you are willing to test it.

[EDIT] You will like installing this face rig, you can scale the install bones in any direction as needed. The weighting is the hardest part, as it is with any installation.

Thank you!

I'm asking how to apply decals in the action window, I don't find the way.

The flattening works, but not as good as I would expect from a totally symmetrical model,

result is asymmetrical, but I can fix manually.

Michel

Yes, I want to rig even if the modeling is not definitive, and no texturing is done.

If there is major reproportion to make, might be better to do it now. I like to see what the model

looks like with his arms down and rigged. Adding or adjusting a spline here an there is easily done,

after rigging.

Michel

Thank you David!

I installed the 2008 rig in one character to test proportions, the rig works great.

I am getting familiar with the rig installation, I can almost do it without the instructions.

I am not happy with the hands (not the rig, the modeling), not big enough, and having

a hard time with good thumb modeling and correct bone positioning. I will have to study

other model's hands. I wonder if there is an easy way to rerig just the hands.

In the image, model has no cp weighting or smartskin, just the model and the rig.

puppets0.jpg

Michel

It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Delete the Left Hand_Geom bone and all its children. Use the finger Parent bones and the finger_Geom bones to position, following the same process as in the instructions. Once finished positioning and weighting, right click on the Right Hand_Geom bone and run the MirrorBones plugin. No need to re-export. You may need different settings in the plugin, so make sure you save a copy before running the plugin.

Sorry, but you may need to re-export to reposition the IK hand controllers. Just make sure you turn all the IK poses and the spine poses OFF before exporting, just like the instructions. You won't need to if you don't rotate the Right Hand_Geom bone when repositioning. Scale doesn't matter.

Can't find a way to render with AO and have shadows on the ground. Any clue?

Nice friendly looking characters! I believe the black specs are an artifact of AO (and insufficient passes? not sure)

You might try adding a klieg light, with z buffered shadows. Add a rotoscope (an all white image) to the camera. Make the ground plane front projected and flat shaded. I think? it will work with AO (I know it works with AI). You may have to decrease the AI value, and/or you may want to set the klieg to just be spec ON but diffuse OFF, and definitely shadows ON.

Tried Nancy's recipe. Works and I like it better with this lighting.

A useful addition is to have a light list for the ground with only the klieg light;

this way shadows don't get washed out by other lights.

Duo0.jpg

test0.jpg

Michel

First face test. I use this month's 11sec audio clip to test the face rig, not entering the competition,

I don't feel like hearing the same clip 6000 times this month ;) . It's Mark's face rig, works very nice!

You can see the setup in the wireframe clip, light with a wide range of controls.

I'm not too good at face animation, trying to learn.

facial_test_wireframe.mov

facial_test.mov

Michel

I see what you mean. Right now it's too much like a ring around the eye, and I can't really just modify

the decal cause the mesh is very pronounced around the eyes. This guy is fully rigged now, so I don't want

to alter it too much: but that's something I'll have in mind for the next models. Thank you!

Michel

• Admin
Sorry, I can't find the way to delete older files in the Edit post.

Deleting attachments is a two step process from inside a post (three steps if you count submitting/updating the post)

1 - Access the Attachments Dropdown Menu

2 - Delete attachment by selecting the document with a red X

3 - Resubmit post

Nice Horsey! Have fun cleaning that up! :)

Deleting_Attachments.png

• 2 weeks later...