Hash, Inc. Forums
Tralfaz

2001 - A Space Odyssey - The Discovery

Finished working on the Discovery, and am providing it here for anyone who wants to use it.

Revision History:

2009-11-16

• Included Pod Bay Interior with Discovery model.
  • The Discovery and Pod Bay Interior are now assembled via Actions instead of inside a chor

2009-11-25

• Include the Cockpit Interior as a separate download.
  • If you haven't done so, download the Discovery model.
  • Next, download the Cockpit model and include it into the existing Discovery folders.
  • Discovery actions have been updated to include assembling the cockpit.
  • Separate cockpit action to assemble just the cockpit, independent of the Discovery.
  • I renamed the excellent benlens4.mdl to fisheye.mdl (easier for me to remember what is used for)

Enjoy...

Al

Discovery_2009_11_16.zip

Cockpit_2009_11_25.zip

Discovery0.jpg

Discovery1.jpg

Discovery_0.jpg

Discovery_Cockpit_0.jpg

cockpit_fe_2.jpg

That is outstanding. Thank you very much. I love when Jedi mastrs of modeling donate because I can study their splinage.

Al:

I just opened your project file and had to tell you that I am blown away! Your Discovery is a masterpiece! What fantastic work and in such a short period of time. This model puts a lot of the stuff you see on the Sci Fi channel to shame. I love it.

Respectfully

Eric Camden

p.s. I'll send you the EVA Sunday night.

Thanks so much for all your kind words folks.

I've got so much from these forums since I joined a few years back, that it is my pleasure to be able to contribute something back to the community.

Thanks again...

Al

This is simply jaw dropping

Thank you everyone.

I've updated the Discovery model so it is built in an Action. Makes it much easier than having it built in a Chor.

I am also including the Pod Bay interior as well.

In order to build the Discovery, simply drop the Command Module model in the Chor. Next, add either the 'Discovery Assembly.act' Action onto the Command Module. If you want to build the Discovery with the Pod Bay interior, then drop the 'Discovery Assembly With Pod Bay Interior.act' Action onto the Command Module.

Hopefully, future updates will be a lot smaller in that only the necessary components will be in the zip file.

The up-to-date zip file is in the first post.

Al

Discovery_0.jpg

NICE!

Will you be modeling the interior of what looks like the bridge, above the pod bay?

There is a scene where one of the astronauts is jogging inside what looks like a sphere. Is this supposed to be the inside of the command module sphere? If so, I can't think of a way to make it fit - that scene looks much bigger than what the sphere could hold.

Thanks everyone!

I do have a very basic cockpit model right now, but there is absolutely no detail to it at all. I've been kicking around the idea of doing something a bit more elaborate so that something actually shows up in the windows of the Discovery.

You are right about the centrifuge not fitting inside the command module along with everything else. As it is, if I modelled the warehouse section as long as it is depicted in the movie, it would stick outside the hull of the ship! The centrifuge was suppose to be around 40 feet in diameter. And the command module was supposed to be 40 feet in diameter. But with the width of the centrifuge being around 12 feet, the hull would have to be quite a bit larger than 40 feet, or the centrifuge would have to be quite a bit smaller. But, that's Hollywood!

Al

According to this, the set that the actor jogged in was 38 feet in diameter and 10 feet wide:

http://www.palantir.net/2001/meanings/dfx.html

It was a 38-ton "Ferris wheel" with the set pieces bolted down and, in some scenes, the actors strapped down.

I'm not sure if 38 feet is small enough to fit The Discovery as portrayed in the movie.

I've read that it's common in science fiction movies for the interiors of space ships, as portrayed by the sets, to be too large to fit if the exterior dimensions as portrayed by the models, CGI, etc.

This was the case with the Millennium Falcon. The scales were so far off that no one has been able to make it fit into a model. In the ship everyone runs around upright with no problem in corridors that circumnavigate the ship, yet the ship is saucer shaped and not very thick. This does not leave any headroom at all among many other inconsistencies. The final design of the ship was a last minute decision which contributed to the scale problems. Maybe there will come a time when ships and such are first designed on a computer to scale before being used in a film? Similar problems with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea's Nautilus. Like Al said, that's Hollywood for now.

One of the worst I've seen for scale is the Jupiter 2 from Lost In Space.

Originally designed as a single level ship for the pilot, it was later expanded to have 2 levels (upper and lower) for the series. But as the series progressed, it gained an extra third level where the engines were located. Then the infamous magically appearing space pod in the 3rd season with it's own hangar area. And somewhere in that tiny ship, they also stored the chariot, rocket packs and all sorts of other equipment.

The TARDIS had it covered though. The size of a phone booth with infinite space inside!

Al

This is quite the epic model, THANKS!!

Here is a quick radiosity render that I did of the pod bay interior, mind the grain, Im rendering a nicer one now.

post-11793-1259168066_thumb.png

1 light was used, 1,000,000 photons about 3 hours to render 16pass

I also used the fisheye lens.

Thanks again!

Photoman

Looking pretty good Photoman. It is really interesting to see what different people do with my models. Great way for me to learn, as I (and I've mentioned this before) really need to improve my texturing and lighting skills. Look forward to seeing more.

And that fisheye lens is excellent and makes a subtle but huge difference to how the image looks.

Thanks...

Al

Took a stroll around your ship. I have to compliment you. The amount of detail and volume of the ship is impressive.

2001__shaded_discovery2.mov

Thanks Jason. That was pretty cool to zip around the ship like that.

Al