Hash, Inc. Forums

The woman who lived on her roof.

KenH

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Holmes!

Drum roll please.....I'm published! That's so cool. I have my book here and the print looks pretty good even though it's not glossy paper (inside). I had to change the page format as it was too costly the way it was set out before. Here's the links:

http://www.amazon.com/Woman-Who-Lived-Her-...3602&sr=8-1

https://www.createspace.com/3413133

Should you wish to buy, first of all, thanks! And here's some information:

1) I get a bigger slice of the pie on sales from the createspace store.

2) But if you buy from Amazon, you could leave a positive review and that could open up a bigger market.

So either way is good. Your choice.

I'm attaching a preview pdf (low quality) just for this forum. Only two pages missing. Thanks for looking.

Copywritten_Content_Compress.pdf

Woman_lived_on_roof.JPG

• Admin

Beautifully 'illustrated' Ken.

It looks wonderful.

I must say the words confuse me and the story has a chaotic flow but in most places in the world that fact alone will make it an award winner. ;) For what its worth, the punchline/message at the end works!

If you want more feedback I'm here for you but I think I'll stop there.

Congratulations on getting published!!!

• Admin
If it confused you Rodney, it must be good! ;)

I was probably expecting Dr. Suess. ;)

If my words sounded harsh my hope was that you'd take it right way. I want to encourage while being honest with you.

Regardless, what do I know writing and illustrating children's literature... I certainly haven't published any books.

Any thought to publishing in other languages?

(Perhaps it'd flow better for me in Japanese)

I have an idea for another to explain how she got wings. So a sort of prequel.

Sounds intriguing!

Harsh words? Not at all. I'm at this long enough to know that you'll never find a pair of opinions alike. If you do, they're endangered, so don't shoot them.

Any thought to publishing in other languages?

I'll make you a deal. If I sell more than 1000 copies, I'll consider putting in the work for that. (Ken is imagining Rodney getting out his credit card. :D). Seriously though I think I'll leave that to the best sellers.

But it should be available in English on the Japanese version of Amazon.

• Hash Fellow

That looks real nice, Ken.

When I open the PDF the text doesn't look formatted like in the sample page you have above, where every line ends in the rhyming word like i would expect.

Is it intended that way? I thought it might be my Acrobat reader, but it's still the same after I upgraded.

kenspage.jpg

• Hash Fellow
Thanks Darklimit and Robert! That's how it's intended to look. I had to reduce the page count as it was working out too expensive. So that was the compromise.

Could you reduce the type size so the verse formatting would work?

You mean like this? I thought it was a little too small. There may be Grandparents reading it. And I do quite like the fact that people will read it not expecting it to rhyme because it doesn't look like a poem. But then being surprised when it does.

Capture.JPG

• Hash Fellow
You mean like this? I thought it was a little too small. There may be Grandparents reading it. And I do quite like the fact that people will read it not expecting it to rhyme because it doesn't look like a poem. But then being surprised when it does.

Here in Texas you get run out of town if your poem doesn't look like a poem. ;)

My inclination would be to go to an easier-to read conventional font so the text could be smaller.

But if you love it, you love it. I think I'll get one for my niece.

Texas is a scary place! :D

I guess I could do that, but I think I'm done fiddling. Besides I do like the font for its uniqueness. Ideally I should cut some of the height off the images, but then there'd be less picture so I don't want to do that either. Swings and roundabouts. Lets say I learned a lot on this first book.

Thanks for a possible potential sale! The "search inside" feature should be available on the Amazon site soon and you might see the missing pages. I'm not sure how that works.

BTW Darklimit: Let us know more about your book project when ready.

• 1 month later...
  • Hash Fellow

My copy of "The Woman Who Lived on Her Roof" arrived last week! (I was waiting until I bought something else so I could get the free shipping.)

It looks quite charming and attractive. I'll hold on to it and give it to my niece next Xmas.

And I'll remember to write a review on Amazon.

I don't think so. Seems like it just affects the printers for the company they took over. Apparently when they were taken over, Amazon wanted to all orders to go to their own printers. No notice about it yet, but who knows down the line.

• 8 months later...

Thanks guys!

I don't have time to animate it...unless of course, someone wanted to pay me to do it. :) Animation has gone by the wayside for the moment. If/when I get back to it, I'd probably animate my horror screenplay idea.