Hash, Inc. Forums

Henry the Green Engine

agep

Hi

Due to lack of reference images I had to take a break from the cathedral.

Poor Thomas looked so lonely, so I decided to make him a friend :)

By the way. In near future I plan on making more of his friends, so if anyone know of any great resource pages for these trains such as blueprints or reference images, please let me know.

Turntable:

Still:

henry_turntable_007.jpg

Thank you for the nice comments!

beautiful little engine, must be a million parts :)
Actually, Thomas and Henry are one of the more simple models I have made lately. Thomas is at about 10,000 patches, and Henry is at 18,000 patches. And that is with everything beveled :)

• 9 months later...

Hi guys!

I have been doing some more work on Henry

Mainly I have been rigging him, made som tracks and did some render/lighting test. I also added some smoke, but that is very basic. Need some tweaking. Since I am no rigger, this was a hard nut, but I think I made it:)

Animation and Lightingtest:

smoketest_000.mov

Rigging Screenshot:

rigging_000.jpg

Rigging animation:

rigging_000.mov

*edit*

I see that there is a bug with one of the bones. For some reason do flip 180 degrees on the Z axis. You can see the main rod pop

Try adding and "euler" constraint on the main rod bone. If that doesn't work, try adding a target bone that the main rod bone is constraint to "aim roll at".
"Euler Limit" did not work, but "Aim Roll At" did! :) Thanks Mark

• 3 months later...

Hi Stian,

Great so far as always!

(But I hope you don`t mind, if I mention the things, that I feel still are kind of not quite there:

-somehow strange how the wheels contact with the tracks but maybe that`s how it is in reality.

-the smoke could be a bit more puffy like from a steamengine.

-the trees look kind of small like great bushes, maybe its a scalething.)

Did you use AO or Fake AO?

What`s the rendertime?

Thank you guys!

Did you use AO or Fake AO?

What`s the rendertime?

I did use real AO and the rendertimes was about 7 to 10hr per frame, and on my 8 core computer I rendered about a second of animation a day

So... were you happy with the DOF effect?
Yes. I did the DOF in post

stian... honestly, i have friends that use only maya and max and your work completely rivals and surpasses theirs! you are truly amazing! care to share any tricks as to how you get such clean renders and smoke tricks?lol kudos bro!
Thanks! the render is just plain AO and a Sun/negative Sun setup :)

Beautiful toy, Stian!

...this was a hard nut, but I think I made it...

Since all the valve gear components are simply rotating about end pins I found it more intuitive to set up the bones to use nothing but roll handles, except for the main connecting rod, see attached. The downside was that for rods that were rotating at both ends I couldn't figure out constraints that connected both ends. So I went through the 60 frame one revolution action and aligned the ends manually.

I assume that Thomas and his cousins don't have accurate valve gear and it's best to model what they use. Should anyone ever lose their mind and starts investigating "real" locomotive running gear, I can recommend a number of graphical locomotive valve gear simulators that I found invaluable for showing me how the various types function.

loco_running_gear_bones.jpg