Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hawlk Eye

Thank you John (I didn't even know Herby was a 63 cool) sorry no #53 they might not like it to much for what I have in store for it...lol

Eric I copied and pasted the door as another model then I started working on reducing the splines this one came out pretty good less splines and I got a door panel I can play with. It's a lot smoother.

1963_bug_42.PNG

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's much better, but you can still take out two of the front bunch of three splines in the door. If they are part of the window post, make the window post a separate entity in the model. In a real bug, they are a separate entity also. Don't be afraid to have many separate entities in a model. If the real thing is made up of several parts, model them that way. In the beginning I thought I had to make everything out of one single mesh. That's not the correct way to model.

Doing really great.

Eric

I took out the three splines you was talking about now I'm playing with the hood but there one thing I for to do is make the original hood as a group bummer is there any way I can just select a few spline on the hood and hit a hot key and that will select all the spline on the hood or do I have to select every spline on the hood ?

If you want to select your hood (and it is just one separate mesh), all you need to do is select 1 or a group of control points, then click the forward slash '/' key. It will select all control points associated with the entire mesh. Once you have the mesh selected, give that group a name and you can re-select it any time you need to.

Actually, there are some pretty useful hot keys.

Say you wanted all the model except your the hood. Either select the 'hood' group or follow the above instructions if you haven't created a group. Once the hood mesh has been selected, press the period '.' key. This will invert your selection. Your hood will be deselected and all other control points will be selected.

The comma ',' key will select all control points along a splines path.

The eight '8' key will switch you to wire frame mode.

The nine '9' key will put you into shaded mode.

The zero '0' key will put you into shaded and wire frame mode.

The back slash '\' key will toggle you between a perspective and straight on view (not sure what the correct terminology is). Just found this one by accident a couple of days ago.

The 's' key will toggle between scale and normal mode.

The 'r' key will toggle between rotate and normal mode.

Also, the numbers on the keypad will switch between different view modes. (e.g. '4' = left view, '8' = rear view, '5' = top view, etc.)

These are just a few of the keys that I use fairly often.

Al

[edit]

One more key that I am using a lot these days is the 'y' key. Select one control point, then press the 'y' key. A new control point is placed half way along the spline between the original control point and the next control point. This is really, really handy.

[/edit]

hmmm work on a few minor detal add a steering wheel change the driver seat color add back seat and bone it. this puppy will be done hopefully tomorrow, we all ways chang our mind though at the last minute.

1963_bug_45.PNG 1963_bug_46.PNG

I've been thinking about what John said I may turn it into Herby :D All in favor of Herby say I...lol

I got the front and back bumper, mirror, side mirror the back seat all I need to add is a staring wheel and figure out something to do with it hopefully will be done tomorrow or the next day, and the next day...lol

Oh yah I got the Herbie colors I think. Is he white or a grayish white color hard to tell.

1963_bug_48.PNG 1963_bug_49.PNG

Oh yah just figure out I need to add a few emblems.

tb, the secret to good modeling is good splining. and the secret to good splining is the fact that splines flow. there are many good heads and faces posted over time on this forum that you can study as examples, one of the more recent is the one that mtpeak2 (Mark Skaodacek) posted when he was demonstrating his great face rig.

Mark's Face Rig

splines flow in curves, when you add or adjust a spline, it is a good idea to look at it in several views. Top(5), Front(2), and one side or the other(4 or 6). I sometimes look from the back (8), or from underneath (0). These numbers are, of course, on the number pad not the keyboard numbers.

Study the wire frames of good heads and models. splines are most often evenly spaced with smooth curves. A spline can look good from the front and side but when you look at it from the top you might see that it is out of whack the rest of the splines of the model. That's one of the reasons someone can get creases.

the Cooper Tutorials are an excellent way to practice your "splinage"

Learning how to make the splines do what YOU want them to, is a major part of the artistry of A:M modeling.

You are doing quite good, but faces can be hard. The link to the Cooper Tutorials are evidently broken, but here they are in zip form. download them and save them. You will want to refer to them from time to time.

Good Luck

CooperTutorial.zip

P. S.

While looking again at one of the pictures you posted. Play around with the"O" and the "P" keys to smooth and peak splines as they go through a CP.

For example in this shot, the yellow vertical spline is the dominate spline with a nice curve, and the horizontal ones crossing it are peaked. Select a horizontal spline with the cp and hit the "O" key the spline should then pass through the CP with a smooth curve instead of a sharp angle.

Check out Largento's (Mark Largent) Wannabe tutorials Here

Spline_example.jpg