Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hawlk Eye

Hello ladies and gents well I started on a new project I've been thinking about for some time now I'm not done with the story board yet but I'll have it up soon but here a car I'm working on for it. Its a 1963 beetle (bug) I got drawing from the blueprints.com yall may all ready heard of that. Scaling the drawings just right took me a while but I'm learning. Here the bug so far one Driver Side finder.

1963_beetle_bug_model.JPG 1963_beetle_bug_model_2.JPG

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BACK FROM VACATION!

Hey Bene! Great car choice! We had a Hasher here several years ago named Greg Schumski who donated his VW Microbus model for use on the old Hash discs... I look forward to seeing your progress! What was the guys name who envisioned that car again....? My Dad brought a Beetle home from Germany in the 1950's when he was in the service there... said he loved it...before my time.

My Uncle was also in the service over in Germany he retired out the service 25 or 30 years something like that hes got a VW Bug not sure what model it is I'll have to ask him.

Thanks for the help on that robo I think I got it this time I use drawing as reference. I thought it as a clock that help me remembered it.

1963_bug_1.JPG 1963_bug_2.JPG

Thank you the spleen

I got some more work done on the VW Bug I done the door its lining up with the front finder but I have a few crease problem near the top I got a fix that though. Bummer I just notice I for got to add the hole where the head light go a car isn't any good with out lights. :D

1963_bug_3.PNG 1963_bug_4.PNG 1963_bug_5.PNG

What would cause this I was working on the Vw Bug and when I was doing the front head light I add a transparency of 50% to like a gray color When I rendered it came looking like photo 10, now when it goes back to normal its like a green and sand color military style color pretty cool though..lol

1963_bug_10.PNG 1963_bug_11.PNG

Looks to me like the head;ight material is connected to the rest of the body. When you applied the transparency to the headlight, it covered the whole body and is causing the effect you see. You need to separate and name the headlight group from the rest of the body. Also, did you set the transparency in the object settings or in the model's group setting. You should have different groups and set everything there. The object group settings will affect the whole model no matter what.

So, delete the transparency, group the headlight lens and set it's transparency there.

Bug looks pretty cool so far.

When I was doing some modeling with transparency on the group it would display kind of funky and patchy when viewed at certain angles making it pretty much useless. Do the textures at the very end, much much easier since you can use final group names for them.

I wish AM had a native transparent sub selection when modeling or even just another level of viewing such as transparent shaded with wire overlay.

That is one feature I really like in Amapi and Hexagon.

Hmmmm I tried to delete the transparency group and set the transparency in the head light group bummer the weird patch color I went up to tools and then customize tried different setting there I tried setting it as a whole color yellow and it was transparency.....LOL I gonna redo (a word every body hate redo) the whole model and do everything at the end.

Thank you Eric and pixelplucker for the info. When I redo it would it be best to do each part like the door, fenders, trunk, and hood as a separate model ?

You've still got some transparency going on there as is evident around the front headlight - you can see the rotoscope through the model. Why don't you make a zip file of the project and post it here and I or someone else will look at it and find the bugger that's causing your cammo sheer look.

Also, don't make every part of the bug a different model, make them different goups if you want to assign different surface properties such as transparencies or different colors, or chrome, etc. The only time I recommend making several models out of a large model is when you are having computational difficulties due to a large patch count.

If you would like some suggestions on how to make your model smoother, post shaded/wireframe renders and we can help you better.

Since a car is made up of many panels, it is often easier to model the panels detached from each other instead of trying to force the mesh in all sorts of different directions. A good example would be the bug's fenders. You have a lot of three point patches (bad) going on around the fenders and in the areas that connect them. If you separate the fenders from the main body, you can eliminate many of those problem areas. I don't mean create a separate model for each, but simply model them apart from the body mesh. Just like having a sphere and a box in the same modeling window. They are not separate models, but they are separate from each other in the modeling window. I do the same thing for the windows of the car. Right now you are trying to fit the mesh to the car frame and the window. If you separate the windows from the body, the window mesh will be easier to construct and will have fewer splines.

You are doing a great job and these tips are only meant to give you some extra tools for your modeling journey.

bug2.jpg

bug1.jpg

I separated the front, and rear fenders not as a new model (I,m learning) I hid the other parts that I wasn't working on that helps out a lot. I got two three patches but they come to point at the bottom of the fenders

I'll separate the back windows and work on the top next.

Once everything has been separated do you attach them when the model done or just leave it like it is ?

1963_bug_19.PNG

I just took a closer look at your splines in the pic. If you think and model with the flow of the metal, everything will get easier. Right now you are thinking flat, in a 2D way. Your splines are going straight up and down, straight right to left. You need to visualize in your head what the piece you are working on really looks like. It certainly isn't flat, it curves and flows in different directions. Try and arrange your splines to follow the flow of the curves. Every once in a while, turn your model slightly and look at it from a bird's eye view. If it is totally flat, you need to change it. The metal curves into the window openings. The door panels also curve from top to bottom and from right to left. the top of the roof might look like it is on the same plane looking sideways, but you are really laying down the center of the roof section. I don't know if you can still find them, but Xtaz, aka Carlos once started some tutorials on car modeling. He is a very good mechanical modeler and his tutorials are very good. Try and search for them on the forum. He still stops in once in a while, so maybe he can give you a link to them.

Keep it up. You are doing great.

I just about got the body done I coped and past it I need to make the front and rear windshield, wheels, bottom, and interior. I need to tweek the body get some the crease out. I went on the site Thank you eric and

check out some of the cars hes done he had a bug like this for sale I thought about it I said Nahhhhhh rather make my own...lol They are really good model cars who ever done um. Oh yah I need to work on the head light a little more.

1963_bug_20.PNG 1963_bug_21.PNG 1963_bug_22.PNG 1963_bug_23.PNG

1963_bug_19.PNG

Hi Tbenefi ....

I already modeled a bettle 1969 to the mechanical contest.. and I know how is hard to do it... its curved shapes is hardest to model then the other cars.

Here is the link for my image ( completed, non textures, wireframe )

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28329&hl=beetle ://http://www.hash.com/forums/index.ph...&hl=beetle

I don't know if you can still find them, but Xtaz, aka Carlos once started some tutorials on car modeling.

Hi Eric thanks for remember me... but my name is Marcos.. not Carlos .... :)

I started the tutorial but I cann't finish it ... free time is very scarce in recent months...

I'll reupload the 1st and 2nd part to the sendspace tonight.

I'm about done with the bug I need to do a little work on the light and interior, I'm thinking about having it set up in a junk yard or something. (I'm still thinking).

Next time I'm doing something easy...LOL

1963_bug_24.PNG 1963_bug_25.PNG 1963_bug_26.PNG

Bummer I just notice the bar coming trough the wheel on the 3 rd one I need to fix that.

I was playing with the choreography and done a render test bummer it still has the see through thing going on. I imported the barrel it done fine. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The second one is the effect I'm going for. I took out the junkyard pick I came up with another I deal for the vw bug

1963_bug_27.PNG

Thank you eric2575 and mtpeak2 I went back and check the transparency for the bug model and total for got about I done the transparency for the windows and when that happen it went to whole model the transparency was set at 44% and now back to zero, what the old saying all check the simple thing first.

1963_bug_28.PNG

I took out the other half of the model did the windows over after seeing xtaz model, thank yall on the info on the creat a group and copy the patch and past think I got group thing licked..lol oh yah that pic I put up of the junk yard scratch that out I came up with another ideal for this model. I got to draw my story board I've been working on this If I got my mind on somthing I stay with it and sometimes for get about other stuff.

1963_bug_29.PNG 1963_bug_30.PNG

• *A:M User*

Hey this looks good. I noticed on the front fender you are hooking into a five point patch. I might suggest that you continue the spline down toward the fender opening and then create the five point patch near the headlight.

Keep up the good work.

Steve

Thank you Shelton

I fix the five point patch on the fender yah the crease is gone, I redone the hood a little better still need to tweak it some more get it smother. I'm thinking about doing the wheel, the frame and interior on another model.

1963_bug_31.PNG 1963_bug_32.PNG 1963_bug_33.PNG 1963_bug_34.PNG

Figure I work on something different was getting tired of the body here the chassis I'm not gonna do to much detail since it going to be under neath not sure if that the right model chassis for the 63 one thing about VW looks like the parts was all most the same.

1963_bug_40.PNG 1963_bug_41.PNG

Looking at your spline layout, you can really reduce the number of splines in the hood and door panel without reducing detail. Make a copy of one door and play around with removing splines to see what you get. If you mess up, just delete it. If you like the new version better, delete the old version. I do that a lot when I model, always make a copy of something you intend on playing around with.