Hash, Inc. Forums

Glowing Personality:

MJL

I've been working with Gene, the Spleenage, on his problem with putting the head of the "Myron" model on the body of the Santa Lion model from the Extra's DVD. File info says the model was made by Hash Inc, and Last Modified by Steve Sappington. Though I've seen his name about, and have admired his work, I don't recall having noticed his presence on the forum since I've been here (June 08).

The Santa Lion Model has a glow about the whole model when rendered. Both in the model window with progressive render and in a final render to file. In the Materials folder in the PWS there is a rimlight listed as a material. I've gone through this model step by step deleting things, changing things to "not set"

My question is this: Where is the glow coming from and from whence is it generated? I looked at the materials attributes, but I don't know enough about materials yet to be able to tell.

It is most likely some elementary global setting somewhere, but I don't know where to look and it is a total mystery to me.

I'm posting the model for anyone who will take a look at it. It's from the Extra's DVD, so if I'm violating any rules or proprietaries, I'll take it back down.

Thank You for you help. Myron

SantaLion.zip

Santa_Lion0.jpg

santa_lion_sc.jpg

I'm not sure if this does it, but the surface properties of the model name are different to the default. Also, there are ambiance settings on the groups. I thought there was lights in the bones structure, but I can't find any.

Steve Sappington was a Hash employee. He compiled many of the models as opposed to creating them. He left sometime last year. He used to post fairly regularly. I think the creator of this model is a French man whose name I forget. He created many of the models on the dvd.

Thank You Paul, Ken, and Mark.

Setting the Diffuse Falloff to 100% works, thanks Mark.

But the question still pesters me, where does the glow come from in the first place? Is there some kind of embedded thing happening?

I had just started the Anzovin Mastering materials tutorials a few days ago, but I had to stop in the middle of the Happy Face Vid and take two aspirin and lie down for a while. I'll start again in another few days after the swelling of my brain goes down.

Thanks again, guys.

{Pardon my interruption, Dr. Watson, but I need a word with Mr Holmes. . . . . . . }

I have a version of the Santa model I tweaked for my Christmas animation two years ago, put a human head on him, etc. the head's not rigged but could be. I didn't include him in the Christmas models I posted on Contributor's Cue because it wasn't original with me. However, it rendered without the glow, and if I can post it here anyone who wants to can use it.

I know that doesn't solve the present problem. but let me know and i'll post it.

Thanks everybody for your help.

I have send an email to Alain through his website. I evidently have a compulsion to track down the source of the glow.

Thank you, Gerry for your offer, and I'll take you up on it for future use if your kindness extends that far. If not I understand.

I think Gene is going to stick with the "Myron" Santa, just to mock me, now that we have the glow under control. (Thanks again, Mark)

I think you will enjoy the upcoming video, it won't be the run of the mill Christmas video, but then you wouldn't expect anything less from Spleengene Animations. :P

Hi,

It was a trick used back then when there was no electricity and we have to do things under candle light! ;)

I was using a gradient materiel with an edge threshold of 45 -50% ... ( with turbulence attributes node to get a deeper color )

In my lion model (updated by Steve Sappington for the AM extra cd) the materials are set to :

the model itself (for an overeall effect)

and to color groups ( for tweaking the effect)

and groups surface properties have a diffuse falloff not set ...

quite basic trick ...but still usefull to fake velvet ,back light on skin etc

... try to reproduce it on a sphere model

Alain