Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Creases

maddle

Hello A:Msters,

Here is a my question, how canI avoid creases i have on my model, the flow seems ok but i still have some pinches.Does thes disappear after texturing, or do i have to adjust bias, or there is a function to smooth the splines ! any helps, tutos, advicse are welcome !

thank you.

post-12843-1255272294_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

First, use as few splines a possible. Generally, you try to mark the peaks and valleys of a shape with splines and have few in between. You're not doing too bad but I think that nose has more than it needs.

Second, the little bumps you see where one patch meets another can be solved with bias adjustment

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...ost&p=43673

I find it easier to click and slide on the gamma bias property for a CP to adjust it rather than to use the bias handles. It usually only needs to change a few degrees.

• *A:M User*

You have got a really good start. I would run the splines across the nose to remove the deep angle of the 5 point patch beside the nose. Also pull the second spline under eye down. The closer each spline gets to each other the more like you will have a crease.

Really good start!

Steve

I would venture to guess that you have the bias manipulator button turned on during modeling? You might not want to do that at first since you can inadvertently tweak biases while modeling without really being aware of it. This can happen when you are in wireframe/shaded mode, you select a cp, nudge it, but see nothing happening. So you go on and don't worry about it. What could have happened is that you actually grabbed a bias handle, maybe on the other side of the mesh, and tweaked the heck out of it with that little nudge. You don't see the damage until you turn the model or inspect it as you are doing now. Just a thought.

there is a material called PORCELAIN that smooth splines .... you should try it... but the best way to smooth a model is to mantain an efficient splinage and a low count of the patches

Does any guys around can give me a hand :huh: and explain or correct my mesh to have less creases, i m close to give it up :( ..no i won' t !! i really love to model with A:M but the journey will be long...

here is my mesh and the background from lightwave.

patch_apple14.mdl

ps:Porcelain give me awfull results.

Maddle:

You are very good with spline layout and keeping it simple - do not give up modeling. There were several discontinuous splines and other odds and ends. I only fiddled with the left side of your really nice looking model so you can compare with the unchanged right side. If you want to have both sides the same, just do a copy/flip/attach. I'll check back to see if you have any questions about what I did. Sorry, misspelled the mdl file.

As Xtaz mentioned, porcelain will help out, but you should have your model really smooth to get the best results.

creaes.mdl

Maddle:

You are very good with spline layout and keeping it simple - do not give up modeling. There were several discontinuous splines and other odds and ends. I only fiddled with the left side of your really nice looking model so you can compare with the unchanged right side. If you want to have both sides the same, just do a copy/flip/attach. I'll check back to see if you have any questions about what I did. Sorry, misspelled the mdl file.

As Xtaz mentioned, porcelain will help out, but you should have your model really smooth to get the best results.

Thank you Monsieur Eric to encouraging me ! :) , ok i see ...no shame to use the kung fu hook technique !!!around nostril for example !

Ho and by the way i don t know how to make a plugin shortkey !! the plugins do not appear anymore in tools/customize/keyboard ! or may be it s not the right place for these settings.

Maddle:

Haha ! Eric i can t select the right side of the model to delete it ? it seems to be "frozen" but i can t access the lock cp s which stay gray ?

There are two reasons why you sometimes get only one bias handle - 1. You have a discontinuous spline (two splines meet but do not join as one) 2. You have a peaked spline.

A quick check would be to select one of these cps and hit "O". If it's a peaked spline, then it will smooth out. If it does nothing, then you have two splines meeting there. To make a discontinuous spline merge into a continuous spline, select one of the cps by clicking on the spline right next to it, hold down "shift" and at the same time hit "k". This action will release one spline from the other. Without moving anything, hit the same spot on the spline as you did before, only this time hold down the left mouse button while at the same time clicking the right mouse button once. This will join the two splines and make them one. Kinda long winded, but it's hard to put into words.

Maddle I would look at other models to see how others do it .There are plenty of good models to look at .Everyone find's there own way ,there is no right way ,just as long as it work's for you

ok Steve thank you very much, my problem is more about the control of splines direction, i have to delete each time to have good spline vector, that s no funny and i m sure there is a technique...

any video tutorials about cp s merging and vector ?

There are two reasons why you sometimes get only one bias handle - 1. You have a discontinuous spline (two splines meet but do not join as one) 2. You have a peaked spline.

A quick check would be to select one of these cps and hit "O". If it's a peaked spline, then it will smooth out. If it does nothing, then you have two splines meeting there. To make a discontinuous spline merge into a continuous spline, select one of the cps by clicking on the spline right next to it, hold down "shift" and at the same time hit "k". This action will release one spline from the other. Without moving anything, hit the same spot on the spline as you did before, only this time hold down the left mouse button while at the same time clicking the right mouse button once. This will join the two splines and make them one. Kinda long winded, but it's hard to put into words.

Thank you Eric, this forum is far the best i ve never been ! you are all Kings !

Ok, that will be $275 payable to me. Just email me your credit card number and I'll fill in the blanks.

Just kidding, any time. Now go and finish that great model you've got going there :D

Haha ! it s crisis here in France !! Come on !

THX Dude