Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Testing smartskinning

Gerry

I'm working my way through installing the lite rig in the little girl character I'm doing for my Christmas animation.

I'm working on doing smartskinning before I activate the Install action, but when I open the model in an action window, I can test, for example, the elbow smartskinning because the arm bones are visible and I can manipulate the forearm bone, but when I want to test the smartskinning at the knees, there's no shinbone visible. the Hide Bones switch turns on some bones but not the ones I think I need. How do I make the shinbones visible in the action?

Is there a step I'm missing or a better way to do this?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working my way through installing the lite rig in the little girl character I'm doing for my Christmas animation.

I'm working on doing smartskinning before I activate the Install action, but when I open the model in an action window, I can test, for example, the elbow smartskinning because the arm bones are visible and I can manipulate the forearm bone, but when I want to test the smartskinning at the knees, there's no shinbone visible. the Hide Bones switch turns on some bones but not the ones I think I need. How do I make the shinbones visible in the action?

Is there a step I'm missing or a better way to do this?

There are a host of ways to make the bone visable. You can:

a) Temporarily make it visible in the model window (Just select the bone and do J)

B) In the action is a bit harder as the bone is not found in the PWS/action section

Just use (a) cause its too hard to explain how to select an invisible bone in the action window.

Rusty

It sounds like you have the Legs IK pose turned ON. If you turn it Off, you will be able to see all the leg geometry bones.

The Legs IK pose should be in User Properties > Body Rig > Legs IK.

I just uploaded a new version of the LiteRig project that I modified back in August. This one has the Legs IK pose turned off.

Unfortunately I can't remember if I made any other modifications to the rig. :blink:

I'm working on doing smartskinning before I activate the Install action,

Sounds like you might have already done the install if the the constraint poses are impacting the visibility of geometry bones? no? (I can't remember exactly the steps - so I am probably wrong)

BUT - my main question is - why smartskinning? Did you find that CP weighting wasn't good enough?

Nancy, I'm using both. The cp weighting works for joints to bend nicely, but at the knees and elbows I want the folds in the pj's to expand out a little (and collapse in on themselves in a more realistic fashion) when the joints bend. Also, I'm being careful to follow the steps exactly as in the pdf instructions. I definitely haven't done the install yet, that much I know!

Holmes, I will look at the rig that's up there now. I think I have the latest and greatest, but I will check on that. And as I mentioned, I'm following the instructions to the letter so I'm pretty sure I haven't turned on any poses but if that one is on by default I will check it.

Thanks for all your comments! I'm sure I'll be posting more questions.