Hash, Inc. Forums

Smart skinning question

Gerry

I usually work in a test ACTION. I move things around, testing the deformation, weighting, etc. When I get to an angle where I want to adjust the mesh, I select the bone that is driving it, right-click, and Add or Edit the Smartskin relationship.

I have a video tutorial about it, somewhere....I used to have it on my online store, but I think it is on one of the Siggraph demos too.

Edit: Upon re-reading your post I can see that this is not what you meant however, I'll leave it anyway for comments/questions.

I think you mean dividing the smart skinning up of the same bone into smart skin 1, smart skin 2, etc.... I have done this to keep rotational axes, touch ups, and,d the keying of CPs and the keying of bones separate (note: placing bone rotation/translation in a smart skin did not mirror... at least in version 14). It allows you to organize these things as well as turn off and adjust the percentage of enforcement on grouped items however, I don't really know if there are advantages/disadvantages beyond this. I guess it would be easy to test whether or not multiple smart skin keys affect each other differently when in a new smart skin.

r