Hash, Inc. Forums

2001 - A Space Odyssey - Modelling the Discovery

Tralfaz

Started working on the engine section. This is going to take a while to do this section justice, as there is so much detail on it. Right now, I've just blocked in the different parts of the engine section.

Also, since I have all of the Discovery components, I wanted to do an animation test of the first time you get to see the Discovery in the movie 2001. Sorry for the large file size, but I just couldn't get a nice quality smaller version of the animation. This was done using Sorrenson 3 compression.

Al

Discovery_0.jpg

Discovery_1.jpg

Disc_480.jpg

Disc.mov

very nice modeling indeed,

still it always escapes me , why so many people put so much effort into recreating things, that already exist and especially of which they

don`t hold the copyrights instead of creating something of their own design...

but maybe its similar fun like buiding a Revell model in plastics and a great exercise in modeling technics as well.

Don`t intend to spoil that with my remark.

Nice!

Now at some point we can have an updated version of 2001, such as what they did recently with TOS Star Trek. :-)

Although, the original movie effects are still very effective.

Also, are you moving the camera to make the ship look like it's moving?

Or have you grouped the instances together and then moved them?

Thanks once again everyone.

Jake, your comments are valid and I take no offense at them. As for modelling an existing object, I guess it comes down to a couple of reasons. I am trying to pay homage to a great movie that is one of my all time favourites. Also, I have a little animation in mind for it. And it does help with building up my modelling techniques. Your question could also be applied to folks who model cars, airplanes, buildings, etc. And yes, I also did build plastic model kits (mainly automobiles) and enter competitions with them. Came away with several 1st places, best in category, best historic and a few second places. One model conversion took over a year to complete.

Now at some point we can have an updated version of 2001, such as what they did recently with TOS Star Trek. :-)

'GASP!' That would be sacriledge, like colourizing Casablanca! Actually, the computer keyboards could be updated. :D

Yes, I am moving the camera to give the appearance of the ship moving. The ship is however assembled in the chor and constrained using bones so that the ship itself could move and everything would stay together properly.

Hey Nancy, I showed my wife your comment, and she laughed for quite a while! Seems like your husband and I seem to find all the best 'bargains', or at least that is our story and we are sticking to it!

Are you SURE that's not just a clip from the film?

LOL, thank you. I was talking to my son about the 'miniature' Discovery used in the movie. Although we have changed to calling it a 'bigature' now (liked that term coined in the Lord of the Rings movies). There were two Discovery models used in the movie, one was 15 feet long and the other was around 56 feet long. That model was longer than our house at around 44 feet! Kubrik was insanse for detail and accuracy.

Anyway, here is an update on one of the engines. Reworked the engine exhaust bells and worked on some of the detail.

Al

Discovery_0.jpg

So cool, Al.

There were two Discovery models used in the movie, one was 15 feet long and the other was around 56 feet long. That model was longer than our house at around 44 feet!

Just out of interest how long is your model?

Hmmm..... how many pixels are in a foot? :blink:

Finished the detailing around the engine bells. Next, to detail the outside of the engine housings.

Al

Discovery_0.jpg

Al:

Go to the tools/options/units menu and there you can set the grid to feet/inches or cm. Set it to feet, turn on your grid in the modeling window and see how long your model is. I'll bet you it's about four feet long ;)

Hey Eric. Actually, I do have the rulers on in feet and inches and am modelling the Discovery full scale (e.g. the command module is just over 40 feet in diameter, which makes the Discovery about 400 feet long. Below is a picture of Sir Nigel alongside the command module. I scaled Sir Nigel down to around 5 foot 8 inches from the 6 foot 8 inches that he was originally modelled at. Also noticed I have to move up the manual controls for opening the emergency hatch.

Al

Disc_512.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Either Sir Nigel is a replicant, or he's in serious trouble :lol:

Yes, Sir Nigel is the latest Nexus model to be developed by the Tyrell Corporation.

Dunno how I missed this thread. Real nice work there.

Thanks Ken.

After taking a break to work on the B9, it's time to come back and finish up the Discovery.

Started doing some more work on the engines. Still have the detail to complete on the top, bottom and back of the engine body portion. I hope to texture a lot of the panel detail and shading using decals.

Al

Discovery_0.jpg

Thank you everyone.

Really nice start Tralfaz, but have you thought about adding some detail to the model? It looks a little plain ;)

Nah, I want to go for the minimalistic approach....

Seriously though, modelling is now complete. (hopefully...)

Good heavens, just checked how many patches are in the rear engine module. This does not include the 3 engines, just the module. Sitting at 33,177 patches.

Al

Discovery_0.jpg

• Hash Fellow

fabulous work.

Do we know what sort of engines powered that thing? The fins in the exhaust nozzles are mysterious.

I remember reading in a book on the making of 2001 that they considered having Discovery propelled by nuclear bombs exploding behind it, but gave up on trying to depict that.

Thank you Nancy and Robert.

As for the engines, you are correct. They were to be atomic engines that would pulse at regular intervals, thereby propelling the Discovery through space.

Finished the texturing the ship tonight. Applied different shades of greys to the many panels on the Discovery. I've got a couple of ideas that I want to do with the Discovery and will be working on them in the near future.

Al

Discovery0.jpg

Discovery1.jpg

dang. so when do the tickets go on sale to be a passenger in that....say what...it's not real? you're sure it's not real......you're absolutely positive that is not a real ship i am looking at now..no....darn.

honestly, very impressive job. now throw in your application to ILM :)