Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bits and pieces till it's done

Eric2575

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get a little bit further with the whole ship and I'll put up a wireframe of it, unless you want to see the detail of something specific. I am not looking forward to making all the little greebles that cover the ship, especially on the top back and all around the sides. I am not going to skimp here though, so you guys can expect a very detailed model of the Falcon.

Steve, seriously though, you do have a lot of talent and it shows in your modeling. Your latest Enterprise is very cool and not wobbly to my eyes. Ask and you shall receive - if there is something specific that you feel challenged by as far as modeling goes, post it on the forum and you'll surely get lots of replies to offer help and solutions. I'll gladly answer any and all questions about the construction of my models, although you may be disappointed when you see how simple they really are. The key thing to remember is to always think in three dimensions. I constantly reference the x/y/z axis no matter what orientation I am in. It will become second nature to you if it isn't already. Practice makes better and better :P

Eric

Robcat, higher percentage AO settings equals less noise but higher render times. Experiment with a simple model setup such as a cube and sphere, then change the AO % and note the differences. I usually stay with 30% AO sampling. Just to explain, the AO settings in the chor are at 100%, the settings in the render to file dialog box I keep at 30% - see pic. Oops, I meant to underline the AO settings in the first pic, not the ambiance intensity :D

AO.jpg

This is looking better and better each time I check in Eric.

Any chance of you explaining how you are creating your armor plating on the Falcon? I am playing around with the Discovery from 2001 - A Space Odyssey, and am having trouble getting smooth raised panels on the command module.

Thanks in advance...

Al

Actually, the first picture in this topic is a great example of what I am talking about. The Millenium Falcon's body is a compound curve. Not only is the main body circular, but the profile of it is also curved. So, how did you go about making the first armor plate with the indents so that it follows the compound curves?

I've been able to create a simple raised panel to follow the curves of the Discover command module, but like the Millenium Falcon, some of the panels have little indents and extensions along the borders of the panels. This is where I am having trouble and keeping the panel smooth.

The way I am starting is making a sphere for the 'inner hull'. From there, I created the profile of the section of 'outer hull' that I am going to work on with a spline, with the correct number of control points that I feel I will need to accomodate any indents or extrusions. Then I lathe the profile and then start breaking and deleting CPs to get the shape of the panel I will need. However, when I delete the CPs, it distorts the other splines and I no longer have a smooth patch. I've tried moving CP's along a spline, but haven't been able to get them to follow a curved spline properly. It may be that I am not using the correct key when dragging the CP. I've tried 1, 2 and 3.

I modelled the Discovery a while ago in a 'poly' modelling program, and this part was actually one of the easiest to model. It's been a while since I've done any serious modelling in A:M, and am kind of floundering right now. Amazing how quick we forget things as we get older...

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Al

Reference drawing of Command Module showing panels with indents and extensions.

disc.jpg

Raised top panel and simple body panel

test0.jpg

Discovery model done in a 'poly' modelling program

disc_0001.jpg

My process is very similar to the one you are already using, but It does change a bit. I also created an inner sphere so to speak, except mine is off course the saucer shape of the Falcon. In order to get a very smooth and accurate base, I use a pretty high count mesh. This mesh will be deleted later on and replaced by a very low count mesh. There is also another reason I use a high count mesh; I copy and paste one of the vertical splines to give me the base for my first plate. Not only does the high count help in getting a smooth plate, but copying it from the base saucer insures that it will totally conform to the saucer's shape. Since the plates vary from one to the next and since some of the plate edges do not line up with the cps of the copied spline, I add cps to the spline using the shift key in order not to disturb the curvature of the spline. The spline will also be broken, as there are several panels along the vertical line of the saucer. Unless you take certain precautions, the break will cause distortions. One way to avoid these is to ....

Man, oh man, I need to do a visual tut on this. Let me put one together real quick....

Spray on starch and setting the iron to "Cotton" usually do the trick. Seriously though, thinking in 3D and lots of practice tweaking models did it for me. Once you get the hang of bias tweaking and knowing what effect the tweaking of one cp has on an adjoining cp will get you to really smooth models.

Since I have a father and son team following this thread, I'd better not let you guys down ;):)

I'm in the middle of the very tedious greeble (small stuff) creation. This will go on for a while since the Falcon was kit bashed out of hundreds of models with hundreds of little parts. I'm not going to replicate all of them nor do it exactly the way it was in the movie, but it should look pretty good.

Greeble update :blink:

ps, the blck background looks a bit fuzzy because I photoshopped the ground plane out - looks a bit more like it's in space ^_^

P_11a0.jpg