Christmas animation 2009

Gerry

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the awakening sequence! You might think about setting up that moment. It's not everyday that a ginger bread man jumps off the plate. :D Maybe a shot before this showing the top one waking up would do it. But I appreciate you're not making a movie here so I guess it works still.

Spent a couple of hours today creating the MJ dance moves for Annie, and though it's far from perfect I think for now it will work. There's a little foot slippage but in a dance routine like this I can live with it. I haven't animated her hands as yet, and for now her face is just set in a smile. Comments welcome!

AnnieandGmenDancetest_h264.mov

That occurred to me too. My boss likes "edgy" but this may bear some more thought. And it's really just that one move. Maybe if I take one "bump" out it wouldn't be so, well, weird.

edit: my wife likes it fine, so I don't know... Does it seem weird to anyone else here?

That occurred to me too. My boss likes "edgy" but this may bear some more thought. And it's really just that one move. Maybe if I take one "bump" out it wouldn't be so, well, weird.

edit: my wife likes it fine, so I don't know... Does it seem weird to anyone else here?

I don't think it's weird either...just as long as those ginger boys behave.

Here's a first draft with pretty much all the animation in place except for an effects shot where she leaps into the TV screen.

Now that I've got this assembled I'll go through and make a list of everything that needs tweaking. Lots of timing issues and adjustments, (not to mention that it's practically a compendium of beginners mistakes!) and I might not have enough time allotted for some of the dream sequence, but there's some wiggle room there, and I think it will work out in the end.

Comments welcome!

Mastercomp_animatic_h264.mov

Coming along nicely. One thing stood out on the blinks at 26 seconds. When she closes her eyes only to open them wide again it looks like she's doing it deliberately. To make her look drowsy, her eyes would progressively get lower with each open.

And are you going to use that music? Isn't it licensed?

Good comment, Ken. The eyeblinks definitely need some work, I will take your comment into account.

As for the music, this is meant to circulate only among our clients. All the Christmas animations I've done going back four years now have used copyrighted music and I would dearly love to put them up on YouTube but we try to keep a low profile, so the final animations don't get much circulation. Here's where I asked about it just yesterday...

No, it's not reading well yet. I've got some timing flexibility there at the end and currently it goes by too quickly so I need to retime the whole sequence. I'll be working on that. Hopefully it won't be too painful.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I agree. Your Christmas animations get better every year. This one turned out exceptionally well!

I don't remember if I've asked you before but are these projects something that you do in your spare time for pleasure or does Visualex actually compensate you for the hours that you put into them? Either way I can see that you enjoy the process. :)

Yeah, this is done for my day job, so I do get paid. This year was a little different since I knew it was ambitious and would be a stretch to get it done, so I voluntarily spent a lot of my own time working on it. Also, we were slow for a lot of the Summer and Fall, but of course as soon as I started on this one we got very busy, so doing it on my own time was a necessity.

As I've mentioned here before, ALL the work I've done on the 3D elements of my "Nightcallers" project has been on company time, (hundreds of hours modeling, decaling and rigging) so it's a pretty good trade-off to spend my own time to get this one done.

For anyone who's interested I did keep careful track of my hours on this and just today got a printout from the company bookkeeper. Total hours for everything, 292 hours. It's broken down into various tasks (modeling, decaling, etc.) so if you really really want to know I can tell you that too.