Hash, Inc. Forums

Arms not matching FK control bones

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

If you switch from IK to FK arms or back you will see channels for "1 right hand attacher" or "1 left hand attacher" being created and getting keyframes in them.

You may also notice that after you make a few IK/FK switches the arms no longer closely follow their FK control bones.

The keying of the "attacher" bones is a side effect of A:Ms (since V13) auto-keying of bones involved in constraint in a pose and those keys are what is causing the wander.

You can safely delete the channels for the "hand attacher" bones to fix the wander and you may delete them as often as necessary.

There's probably a similar issue with the IK/FK legs but I haven't identified them yet.

Note that this issue isn't about the fact that your arms will move from the last-keyed IK position to the last keyed FK position (or vice versa) when you slide the IK/FK slider. That is normal since TSM2 doesn't do the seamless IK/FK switching that a rig like "Squetch" does. (Although I'm thinking there's a mod for that)

That is normal since TSM2 doesn't do the seamless IK/FK switching that a rig like "Squetch" does. (Although I'm thinking there's a mod for that)

The slider could be replaced with an ON/OFF pose and the relationship reworked for FK/IK switching, but the rigger would not be able to write it.

That is normal since TSM2 doesn't do the seamless IK/FK switching that a rig like "Squetch" does. (Although I'm thinking there's a mod for that)

The slider could be replaced with an ON/OFF pose and the relationship reworked for FK/IK switching, but the rigger would not be able to write it.

The relationship would probably have to be made as a "drag and drop" from a model used as a container.

• Hash Fellow
I just setup an FK/IK switch in the Gala model Caroline posted. I'm still testing it, though it seems to work with no problems, that I can see.

Yes David, a drag and drop would work just fine.

If you can make a pose that works with already-rigged TSM2 charcters that woudl be great!

Well Robert, the decision to remove it also was do to the fact I haven't been able to get the leg switch working. I've done a little more experimenting today and may have come up with something. I have the legs working, except for having the knee control in the correct position, when unhiding the controls. I also need to add the foot controls into the mix.

• Hash Fellow
Well Robert, the decision to remove it also was do to the fact I haven't been able to get the leg switch working. I've done a little more experimenting today and may have come up with something. I have the legs working, except for having the knee control in the correct position, when unhiding the controls. I also need to add the foot controls into the mix.

Great!

It doesn't have to work with a single switch. If the IK-FK transition took flipping two switches in succession, that would be fine.

That was something I was thinking might be necessary when I noticed that the elbow pointer in IK is also the FK upper arm.

But I never got around to testing any theories.

The arms work fine, as far as I know. The pose is still a slider, but it works just like an ON/OFF pose. The elbow pointer being the FK upper arm is what made the arms easy to setup, the legs were a different story since they didn't use the same setup.

I have the legs working in the gala model, but there is compensation on the IK foot controls. I can eliminate this by adding a bone to each FK foot control, which would mean the user would have to manually add the bones or I would have to rewrite the script for the rigger to add it. It's not a big deal to rewrite the script, it's just a duplicate of the IK foot controls parented to the FK foot controls.

I added some new lines to the leg script to add the extra bones needed. This would require the user to go back to a version of the model before the rigger plugin was used. This means any modifications to the model after the rigger was run will be lost. You could manually add the bones if need be.

• Hash Fellow

In my first 30 second test it appeared to work right while I was doing the keyframing but when i went to play it back there was a jump at one of the transition points.

But I couldn't duplicate that error on my second try.

I'll need to spend some more time testing it.

Looks very promising though! Thanks!

Edit: i notice the IK-FK slider is drifting between keys. Shouldn't it really be on "Hold" interpolation?

As for the slider drifting between keyframes, it shouldn't matter, but you can set the interpolation for the pose in the action or chor (this can't be set at the pose, as far as I know). I could set the poses to an ON/OFF pose, but I'm not sure how well that will work when you import the relationship model. I'll do some testing.

• Hash Fellow
This is how I do it.

On the first frame, make a pose using the FK arms. If your next keyframe is in IK arms, use the switch on the first frame. Then go to your next frame that you want to key the IK arms.

It will take me a while to torture test this.

Could post the arms-only import model again?