Hash, Inc. Forums

Cigar? Cigarette?

• Hash Fellow

a stab at that slowly wafting smoke action.

slowCigH.mov

It's streaks, no gravity, low velocity, low viscosity, and two forces moving thru the smoke column.

Update: slight variation and longer take

slowCigBH.mov

Update II:

another take with slight sideways draft that follows the smoke to its demise

slowCigCH.mov

Update III:

WIlliamGaylord asks

Have you tried a moving emitter?

test of emitter on moving cigarette

slowCigDH.mov

Here's the PRJ

slowparticles8c_cigMoving.prj

The initial problem was that an Emitter Rate that looks good when the cig is stationary is invisible when it moves fast. That's probably pretty close to reality, but just to try, I'm pumping up the rate during the transitions to make a visible smoke trail. With some more trial and error I could get those changes feathered out more and less obvious.

I'm pleased with how well simple streaks work for this. It also appears that a long standing problem with A:M particles has been fixed. In the past particles were all born in clumps at the project frame rate. A fast moving emitter would leave puffs behind it rather than a smooth stream. But now they seem to be spaced appropriately between frames.

Definately got my attempt beat by far!

ONE piece of advice I may be able to offer that I learned on my ciggy... if you ever go for a final render (like I sorta did) you should leave the smoke as a separate pass...and do the smoke over black in 'shaded' render mode.... 'final' takes WAY too long with that many particles, and there is no real render benefit from the sprite.

SPEAKING of the sprite...can you show us the image you fed into it?

GREAT WORK, Robert!

That is what I've been hoping for for a long time now. It looks real enough to work well in my project "Smoking Can Be Hazardous to Your Health". I'll need something like this that works with a moving cigarette in the hand of a character. Have you tried a moving emitter?

I'll be very interested how you got it to disperse so nicely.

Here is the best one I've managed with a moving cigarette: Moving Cigarette

I had done something similar to this WAY BACK in 'ought3' in my Rolling Stones cartoon... if you look at the far right (Keith Richards) character you might be able to see some tracking smoke on a moving character... not the greatest example but-

• Hash Fellow
I'll need something like this that works with a moving cigarette in the hand of a character. Have you tried a moving emitter?

I've put a new test up of a moving cigarette at the top post.

I had done something similar to this WAY BACK in 'ought3' in my Rolling Stones cartoon... if you look at the far right (Keith Richards) character you might be able to see some tracking smoke on a moving character.

yes, that looks very similar. Great clip!

I'm pleased with how well simple streaks work for this. It also appears that a long standing problem with A:M particles has been fixed. In the past particles were all born in clumps at the project frame rate. A fast moving emitter would leave puffs behind it rather than a smooth stream. But now they seem to be spaced appropriately between frames.

I used both streaks and sprites and got the same "spotty" results with a moving emitter. Never quite worked out how best to used forces to get a more natural slow "turbulence" look to it.

You've done a great job here. I'd like to get your smoke together with my smoking character. This will be the first of a series (I hope) called "The Marshmallow Safety Films". (Each episode features marshmallow characters experiencing some sort of "accident"...The possibilities for hilarity are endless!) The first episode will be called "Smoking Can Be Hazardous To Your Health"

Overall thread: Marshmallow Safety Films

Characters of episode 1: Smoking Can Be Hazardous to Your Health

I did a "screen test" animated to Hannibal Lecter's last line in "The Silence of the Lambs". This test wound up in four film festivals--all 20 glorious seconds worth. ;-)

Marshmallow Lector

Anyway, with this smoke effect of yours working so well, it's time to wind up this project and get it rolling again! The dialog will be in French with English subtitles. Al Desrochers translated the dialog into French for me and I have to say it's even funnier in French, thanks to Al's great work on the translation.