Hash, Inc. Forums

Question for RobCat

jason1025

If your up for a challenge and you feel its viable. How dificult would it be to in additional to your fantastic advanced finger fan bones we go one large step further and add Fan bones for the elbow's, knees, wrists, ankles, and neck?

I am curious what your thoughts are on this.

• Hash Fellow
If your up for a challenge and you feel its viable. How dificult would it be to in additional to your fantastic advanced finger fan bones we go one large step further and add Fan bones for the elbow's, knees, wrists, ankles, and neck?

Those are all possible and I've written those into various scripts that I've used. I've made an arm script that adds flexible bending for the upper and lower arm and even a head script that will provide rigging for the mouth, eyelids, and eyebrows. I call it "The Face Contraption".

I haven't put those out here because they create a huge swarm of bones that, while they make perfect sense to *me* B) , would be tough to explain to most people.

The people who would understand it already have solutions for these things that they've made themselves.

But simple fan bones are pretty easy additions, if you study that finger script you can see how it works. And if you have questions, you can ask. It's been about two years since I was into that so I may or may not remember the details.

Those are all possible and I've written those into various scripts that I've used. I've made an arm script that adds flexible bending for the upper and lower arm and even a head script that will provide rigging for the mouth, eyelids, and eyebrows. I call it "The Face Contraption".

I haven't put those out here because they create a huge swarm of bones that, while they make perfect sense to *me* B) , would be tough to explain to most people.

The people who would understand it already have solutions for these things that they've made themselves.

But simple fan bones are pretty easy additions, if you study that finger script you can see how it works. And if you have questions, you can ask. It's been about two years since I was into that so I may or may not remember the details.

Thanks for the feed back. You really think the average person can study your scrypt for the fingers, and would be able to create fan bones for the elbows and knees? Could I ask this favor, If you already have a similar scrypt for elbow fans could I have that perhaps with the changes or additions highlighted that way I could do a compare against the original and see the pattern.

• Hash Fellow

Here's a look at the finger script which is probably easier since you have seen the result already

notice I've added comments

;like this after the semicolons, this is not allowed in a real TSM2 script.

open the "advfinger.mdl" from the Components folder of TSM2 in A:M and follow along as the script refers to the various bones. Be careful not to resave it. It needs to remain in V11 format.

hide "advfinger"
hide "advfinger2"
hide "advfinger3"
hide "advfinger4"

those were the "metatarsal", first bone, second bone and third bone inthe finger respectively

"hide" made all those geometry bones invisible

Next, we make our first new control bone, name it and position it

create a bone called "finger control1"  ;  this makes a named bone, TSM will add numbers and "left" or "right" as it repeats this script for separate fingers
with parent the parent of "advfinger" ;this gets the new bone a place in the heirearchy as a child of "hand", which is the parent of the parent of "advfinger"
with start point of "advfinger2";
with end point of "advfinger2";  the bone has the same start and end points as "advfinger2"
with roll of "advfinger2"; and the same roll

basically same drill for the next two control bones :

create a bone called "finger control2"
with parent "finger control1"; notice that it is child of bone just created
with start point of "advfinger3"
with end point of "advfinger3"
with roll of "advfinger3"

create a bone called "finger control3"
with parent "finger control2"
with start point of "advfinger4"
with end point of "advfinger4"
with roll of "advfinger4"

Now we can start adding fan bones:

create a bone called "advfinger1fanA"
	with parent "advfinger"; it is a child of that metatarsal bone
	with start point the end of "advfinger" ; it begins at the tip of that bone
	with the rotation of "advfinger" ; it points in the same direction as "advfinger"
	with the length of 3;  why 3?  just a guess, may not be conveniently sized, but doesn't really matter, the bone will be hidden

that was one fan bone.

we make two more starting from the same point, but shorter and shorter so all three aren't exactly superimposed:

create a bone called "advfinger1fanB"
			with parent "advfinger"
			with start point the end of "advfinger"
			with the rotation of "advfinger"
			with the length of 2
			hidden ; this hides the bone, I'm not sure why I didn't do that on the first one

create a bone called "advfinger1fanC"
					with parent "advfinger"
					with start point the end of "advfinger"
					with the rotation of "advfinger"
					with the length of 1
					hidden

this next section creates similar fan bones on the end of the first finger bone and the second finger bone:

create a bone called "advfinger2fanA"
				with parent "advfinger2"
				with start point the end of "advfinger2"
				with the rotation of "advfinger2"
				with the length of 3

create a bone called "advfinger2fanB"
						with parent "advfinger2"
						with the length of 2
						hidden
							create a bone called "advfinger2fanC"
								with parent "advfinger2"
								with the length of 1
								hidden

create a bone called "advfinger3fanA"
						with parent "advfinger3"
						with start point the end of "advfinger3"
						with the rotation of "advfinger3"
						with the length of 3

create a bone called "advfinger3fanB"
								with parent "advfinger3"
								with the length of 2
								hidden
									create a bone called "advfinger3fanC"
										with parent "advfinger3"
										with the length of 1
										hidden

OK, we're done making bones. On to the constraints...

in on/off pose unprefixed "TSM constraints" ; creates the entry you see in pose window. "unprefixed" means there wont' be a "right" and "left" version of this.
orient like constrain "advfinger2" to "finger control1"
orient like constrain "advfinger3" to "finger control2"
orient like constrain "advfinger4" to "finger control3"; those three lines made the geometry bones follow the visible control bones
aim at constrain "advfinger" to "finger control1";  the metatarsal bone isn't directly controlled, it points to the first finger bone and is moved by translating the base of the first finger bone

This section was a bit different from the original TSM2. I abandoned the scheme where the last two bones of the finger are controlled by one bone. Each one has a dedicated control bone now.

I could have put the fan constraints in TSM2 but decided to keep them separate

in on/off pose unprefixed "finger fans"

compensated orient like constrain "advfinger1fanA" to "advfinger2" ;"compensated" means "use offsets"
at enforcement 70% ; if I didn't use this line the enforcement would be 100%
compensated orient like constrain "advfinger1fanB" to "advfinger1fanA"
at enforcement 60%
compensated orient like constrain "advfinger1fanC" to "advfinger1fanB"
at enforcement 30%

I'm not sure why I didn't just constrain those all to "advfinger2" instead of one fanbone to the next. It would have made more sense.

But anyway, we do the same thing for the other fanbone sets...

compensated orient like constrain "advfinger2fanA" to "advfinger3"
at enforcement 70%
compensated orient like constrain "advfinger2fanB" to "advfinger2fanA"
at enforcement 60%
compensated orient like constrain "advfinger2fanC" to "advfinger2fanB"
at enforcement 30%

compensated orient like constrain "advfinger3fanA" to "advfinger4"
at enforcement 70%
compensated orient like constrain "advfinger3fanB" to "advfinger3fanA"
at enforcement 60%
compensated orient like constrain "advfinger3fanC" to "advfinger3fanB"
at enforcement 30%

Even though there wasn't any mention of "right" or "left" or specific finger numbers in this script, TSM2 manages the task of adding those on all the different fingers it creates.