Hash, Inc. Forums
John Bigboote

Would'nt it be cool if...

JUST BRAINSTORMING---

I recently did some Flash work that required an 'all-FLASH chat feature'. After scouring the internet I located one at FlashDen.com and after chatting with the programmer (on his chat) I purchased and employed the gizmo for the customer who could'nt be happier(He's using it for his web-support). I then installed it on MY server and began thinking of possibilities... I KNOW we live in a 'Twitter' and 'Facebook' age and that 'chat' is SOOO 1999-ish, I never really got into it myself...but as I played with this thing and had discussions with people from around the world (I met a rich Iranian who took great pride in telling me that all the world HATES the USA and LOVES Iran...mmmmkay) I thought- would'nt it be cool if we had this thing on the A:M Forum??? (See picture of imaginary placement) Sure would kick-up traffic, interest, members and maybe even sales. It would in no way take away from our current and beloved forum.

I know it would take some 'police-ing'... features include a 'kick', an permanent 'IP-ban', customizable bad word filter (M#y#, 3DM#x etc.) sounds would default to OFF... and there is no AOL/YAHOO/ICQ pre-registration bullcrap...just sign-in and go! He has a new utility for the administrator that lets alerts you when someone enters and allows 'monitoring'...

I guess I'm just looking for feedback and input. Tell me I'm crazy.

HERE'S My chat on my server (NOT customized yet...I need to get Flash CS3 to alter the .fla file)

http://campbellanimation.com/chat/index.html

HERE'S the chat on Flash Den dot com:

http://www.mind-probe.com/as3/chat/index.html

BELOW is a NON-WORKING image file of what the forum would look like with chat:

chatprob.jpg

Tell me I'm crazy

You're crazy. (you asked B) )

I prefer the only-when-I'm-into-it format of a forum.

There's already a chat window in A:M, right?

Yeah--- I forgot about that... it went over like a led-zeppelin, didn't it. As far as 'only-when-I'm-into-it' goes... don't want to chat? Don't sign in...that simple...ignore it... ORRR -lurk to see what's being talked over. It would not be mandatory at all.

Yeah--- I forgot about that... it went over like a led-zeppelin, didn't it. As far as 'only-when-I'm-into-it' goes... don't want to chat? Don't sign in...that simple...ignore it... ORRR -lurk to see what's being talked over. It would not be mandatory at all.

Why not use the A:M Chat for that? I like the idea of having it... it is just not used much...

*Fuchur*

The difference being... you have to HAVE and be in A:M to use A:M's chat... that does not help the prospective buyer or the user on vacation. Does A:M Chat even work? I just like the idea of having the forum being the center of all communication -all under one roof. Nobody goes into A:M to chitterchat...they go into the app to make 3D. You go to the forum to communicate. I think I'm swimming against the stream here...

I like the fact that A:M has such a feature... it seams to be the only app with that. It could be even better if the chat would allow something like a shared desktop or something...

Of course if you are just after chatting with out a real reason to do you are right, a chat on the forum would be great.

Whatsoever: Yes the community-window is of course working... it is not crowded, but there are some people online right now.

I got another question so: Is it possible to change the group / site-name you are in in the Community-Window?

*Fuchur*

Matt

I like the idea. I got annoyed by AM chat. It took me forever to figure out what that bell was everytime someone posted.

Steve

I never used the AM chat feature because it needed a different login than the forum, and like someone said, when I'm in AM it's to do 3D, not chat. My .02 dollars...