Hash, Inc. Forums

Falloff ???

Walter Baker

Greetings All

ok I was looking at the 'Lady Goodbody' in the lib. and noticed that some bones have falloff and some CP have rings around them which appears to be

controlled by two bones as the attached image shows.

If so then how do you do this?

The seam in the center of her dress is my point of focus since my model has the same and I am not sure which bone to attach them to.

circles.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Go back to the modeling view (not bones) and select any bunch of CPS

RMB on the group and choose Edit CP weights

You can view current CP weights there and change them to any percentage to any bones in the model.

You should make them add up to 100% or A:M will do it for you (better for you to do it)

you can also get combination weights on CPS where two bone falloff envelopes overlap.

Thanks Robcat

I see that now so Looking at the two models from the lib. Gala and Lady Goodbody I noticed the Lady Goodbody has no 'simcloth' or materials

that make her dress work yet it does when you do an action so how is this done without deflectors or simcloth? or am I just missing it some where?

• Hash Fellow

I haven't studied her, but it appears her dress has been carefully weighted to bend and move with her legs. It's a tight dress and there's not much skin underneath so it's pretty much like the weighting you'd do on the skin of an unclothed figure.

careful weighting is a manual process, sometimes one CP at at time.

so now this creates more confusion in my mind, which would be the best way to go to have a dress move as cloth would on a model, cloth or CP weighting?

The cloth tuts that I have found seem very vague in fine tuning where as CP's are more specific yet a lot more work and the cloth may not flow as cloth would. I know it is a choice I have to make but which would give the better effect?

I saw a mov. that Vern did where a curtain opened and it swayed and moved smoothly which is what I would like but not sure how he did it.

the cloth thing is still as confusing as CP weighting, I guess it is all trial and error, for the best effect right?

• Hash Fellow
so now this creates more confusion in my mind, which would be the best way to go to have a dress move as cloth would on a model, cloth or CP weighting?

The cloth tuts that I have found seem very vague in fine tuning where as CP's are more specific yet a lot more work and the cloth may not flow as cloth would. I know it is a choice I have to make but which would give the better effect?

I saw a mov. that Vern did where a curtain opened and it swayed and moved smoothly which is what I would like but not sure how he did it.

the cloth thing is still as confusing as CP weighting, I guess it is all trial and error, for the best effect right?

Weighting the clothes to move with the body is the traditional solution for tight clothes like pants and shirts. Easier than cloth in the long run.

looser things like skirts that dont' directly follow the body could be done with a bunch of bones and dynamic constraints but this is challenging to rig.

Simcloth is the other alternative. You animate your character first, then simulate the cloth for the whole shot and hope to God it falls on the character right the first time, but it wont' so you tweak until you do.

HomeSlice has a good tut up on simcloth out there. You might pose questions to him after you've digested that.