Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Orca on the Hunt

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Gene, it was done in A:M. In fact, everything was done in A:M, except for 3 image files used for texturing.

Matt, I'm not sure what you mean, he's jumping in/out of the water (I've changed the pose since this render).

Still a few things to do. I'd like to change the textures for the snow/ice and put in some splashes.

Mark:

Your work is awesome, I love the whole scene. Just downloaded your wave generator but for the life of me can't get same look you've got going here. Would you post the project file for this scene so I/we can see the settings for the various scales, bump, and displacement values? This would look great with my new Nautilus model.

I Like BOTH ices...maybe use them both? The right side whale pose looks a lot better...now I have ANOTHER issue... it looks like the left whale and the center whale are on a collision course thru that narrow channel! (Just tell me to shut-up...)

Thanks guys.

That's looks great Robert, but let me finish the image first. ;)

Eric, the settings I'm using will not work that great on the single ocean rig, it's setup right now for the 64X. I'm using Luuk's material with a second plugin material, crumple.

Matt, Matt, Matt.....Shut Up. :lol: The center orca is following the one in the channel.

Jeff, here's a render with a blue sky, I'm not liking it. It seems to take away from the image IMO.

Here's a test render with the blue sky and the particle splash. I'm not that happy with the sprites (still needs work though), I may try fluids instead. Also used both ice textures.

Orca_C0.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I think the water droplets in the air are too big and too fuzzy compared to the razor sharp detail of everything else including the flying whale.

are those sprites? you might just try making them smaller and sharper.

Or how about a sprite image that was painted to look like a little round water droplet with specular highlight and everything. You might have to paint a few variations.

Mark:

Could you be a bit more specific about achieving this water. You mentioned using Luuk's water material, but did not mention if you used any bump or displacement values on Luuk's material or the water rig? Is this done without bump or displacement? Sorry to be so persistent, but I've been wanting to get such an effect for the longest time. Thank you for being patient.

Eric

Mark, considering all elements of the image, I liked the first one the best. I felt RobCat was right with the ice looking the best int he first one.

the splash is going to be difficult and Im interested to see how you pull it off.

I really like the grey sky and the look of the water you have!

Mike Fitz

Ok, went back to old ice texture, made sprites smaller and less fuzzy (sorry Robert, but no special water droplet image) and upped the emissions.

Eric, when I have some time I'll setup a project with all the materials and settings. I'm not ready to post the tilable ocean generator model. I started this project to create the materials for the water and decided to do something with it to take a break from the rigging.

Here's a new render, no hires image yet.

Orca_C0.jpg

Thats looking mighty fine :)

On the ice, there should be some slight transparency to it.... I once heard a person (On another forum) use SSS create a really nice ice texture. Maybe fiddling with that could yeild some good results?

Photoman

• Hash Fellow

Smaller is better.

However, I'm not sure the whale coming out of the water will make so much spray so high.

Do you have some reference pics that show it like that?

A whale falling back into the water would make a big splash, of course.

• Hash Fellow
How's this Robert, or should I go lower?

I hardly make any spray at all when I come out of the water so it still looks like a lot to me.

I think you should search out some footage of whales breaching like that and see what really happens. You're making such a realistic image you oughta do that extra research step and find out.

Here's a clip that actually caught some killer whales breaching, but none of them real close.

Here's a humpback whale. I notice there's quite a bit of water that's falling off of the whole length of his body while he's in the air which is different than spray that was caused just by him breaking the surface.

Mark, you might consider physically modelling some of the surface disruption that would happen when the whales come up out of the water like that. With some creative placement of the sprites, you could probably get what you're looking for.

Also, Im sure you're aware, there would be water coming off the front flippers as well.

I think it just needs more surface disruption then what you have.

Mike Fitz

I agree with Mike. It looks as though only the lower body is disrupting the surface when in fact the larger upper body and fins should have caused quite a bit of stir in the water already. I did a web search using the terms "breaching Orcas" and came up with a ton of great reference pics.

Well, I'll have to come up with a different plan. I don't think the sprites are going to do what I want. Thanks for the comments.

blobbies won't cut it?

No, I'll probably have the same problem, not real control of placement and density where I need it.

Thanks guys.

that's promising.

The spray off his dorsal fin is too straight-line.

I tried to make it less straight, but all my attempts failed. I could make them less streaked looking, which would make them look less in a straight-line.