Hash, Inc. Forums

CGI dollar bill

Haven't showed anything in a while so...

I have been inspired by Stian's cathedral to do some modelling. I was looking at the intricate detail on a US $1 bill and thought... I'll do it in 3D! 4 days and 28,000 patches later...

The 'George Washington' bust was big fun to do. I rotoed the basic shapes and began extruding. I borrowed Sir Nigels nose. I am now rigging it for basic motion...eyes, neck/head, mouth/jaw...maybe I'll get ambitious and do some ZignTrack motion capture. I will do some basic zooms and pans, maybe try to sell this for a TV spot or something...

DOLLARimage.jpg

DOLLARsmall.mov

DOLLARimage2.jpg

• Admin

You have officially lost it Matt.

You've caught the StianEric flu and apparently thats fatal.

I'd think you might be able to get a good effect just by scaling the bill out and making it appear to come out of a flat dollar bill.

Who needs to stretch their money when it can tranform into 3D. :)

You so crazy though...

That's fantastic Matt! The animation of George makes him look a little bit like a "fancy pants" ... not that there's anything wrong with that. The camera pull out of the dollar though is really impressive ... kudos!

Bruce

Now I'm left with a question regarding ACTION OBJECTS...

I have two models... 1) is the entrire dollar 2) is George model... I put them together in the chor using an action object.

NOW- I am animating George in other actions... but there is no instance of George in the chor- SO where do I apply my action?

As far as I know, you can not apply an action to an action object, you will have to animate the action object directly in the chor.

Select the main model and show more than drivers. Go into the bones folder and you will see a folder for action objects. Here you can access the model, but I don't think you can apply an action to it.

BTW, nice dollar bill.

• Hash Fellow
Thanks MT...will do. My 'big boss' came in and saw it- HE wants to do a version with Obama in it and all the text is Chinese...wonder whats on HIS mind...?

Don't make Obama look like Larry Fine.

Now I'm left with a question regarding ACTION OBJECTS...

I have two models... 1) is the entrire dollar 2) is George model... I put them together in the chor using an action object.

NOW- I am animating George in other actions... but there is no instance of George in the chor- SO where do I apply my action?

Why don't you just import your model of George into your model of the dollar bill? Then you won't have any problem applying the actions, assuming the imported model has the same rig as the original George model.

Wow...that's amazing. I can hear the "whosh" sounds as the objects go past the camera. I think this has potential to be a viral video.

I'm not sure if it's any help, but I believe you can use a pose in an action object.

Why don't you just import your model of George into your model of the dollar bill? Then you won't have any problem applying the actions, assuming the imported model has the same rig as the original George model.

The reason I am keeping George separate is because he is nice and low-res and easy to work on. With 28,000 patches- the dollar bill model has slowed quite badly. To make a new CP or do a copy/paste function takes 1 minute of 'hourglass'...I need to rapidly revise the George model.

The other option will be to add the George model to the bill in the chor with 'Translate To/Orient Like/ Scale Like constraints...maybe I'll do that.

Don't forget to save Mr Washington for your Mount Rushmore project!.....that would leave only? what? three more heads to finish.....just go done watching a Mnt Rush. docu.....and thought of this post.....Keep-r-go'n......

I had a dream about your dollar......nothing sick mind you......

Wow! Interesting project!

Instead of using action objects, you could simply constraint the bust to the bill in the choreography, that way you can throw some actions onto the bust. I think that would be an simple solution since its only two models

anyway, awesome project!

The buck stops here! And chats a while...the things he could tell you about Benjamin Franklin!!

I love it! I imagine he would have a lot to say, given the many places he's been over the years...like what it's like to be inserted into a vending machine...unusual things you can actually get for a dollar..."Why is it called 'inflation' when I get smaller!"...

BTW, if you have to lose your shirt in a bet, do it like this:

shirt11.jpg

The buck stops here! And chats a while...the things he could tell you about Benjamin Franklin!!

I love it! I imagine he would have a lot to say, given the many places he's been over the years...like what it's like to be inserted into a vending machine...unusual things you can actually get for a dollar..."Why is it called 'inflation' when I get smaller!"...

That's what I am thinking. Turn him into a sort of 'TV commercial template'... make him available to the world.

"Hello, George Washington here- 'father of our country', '1st president'... 'amateur lumberjack'. Anywhoo- I've seen a lot of things in my day but NOTHING like the savings to be had on a new_________" etc