Hash, Inc. Forums

A Christmas Project

I've been inspired by Christmas Tauntauns on You Tube, so I thought my first toon should be a Christmas one too. I wanted to share some of the models I've been working on to get some feed back. The first is going to be the Captain of the Toy Soldiers Uniform, the next is the Gingerbread house and then finally the Christmas tree (which kind of bothers me) I'm thinking of redoing the tree, using the hair system to make the needles and get a more realistic look, but the lights... any pointers? Right now, glow is just turned on, is there a way to make the bulbs brighter and flash sequentially?

Anyway, thanks for taking a peek.

post-11782-1248945998_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1248946020_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1248946036_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1248946057_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1248946080_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Very nice. I like! :)

Right now, glow is just turned on, is there a way to make the bulbs brighter and flash sequentially?

There are several ways but the one that immediately springs to mind is:

- (Under the settings in a Choreography or Action) Turn the Ambiance setting on the suface properties up (and turn it way down when you want to dim the light). The surface should also have an Ambiance color to make this work if it doesn't already.

Thank you for all the kind remarks, I really appreciate it.

As for bump maps, sadly no... I'm still learning about several things (like bump maps and partical systems) Also, I don't have Photoshop, so I they are all decals I did with Mircosoft Paint. I agree the chimney is very flat, but since I'm thinking that it wil be a bit aways in the shot and really only on camera for 3seconds or so... I grudgingly convinced myself to let it slide, but ONLY just this once.

• 2 weeks later...

I love your Christmas model,I can smell the ginger bread. :)

you can control the glow on the tree lights,

by leaving your glow on, then grouping your tree lights (one at a time or the whole group) and re-name them something like tree lights glowing. bring your tree lights into choreography, click on choreography, and see from the list, is glow Radius, and Glow intensity.selecting between 0 to 400 will cause a glow around the tree lights when rendered.

you can click your tree lights off and on, at the active button, in choreography. to get the effect of blinking.

then bring in the rest of your models in the same choreography. hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.... Well... it took me forever to figure out what i wanted to do with our leading lady (and there are still several things i want to add as well as change...but on the bright side; I met minimal success with the hair emitter.

post-11782-1251743357_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1251743368_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1251743377_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty good. Maybe I read to quick but did you have a story synopsis? Im sure as far as everything goes it should be just fine. Some times simplicity can be your best friend. Look at Mickey mouse, especially the first mickey mouse, he's all simple geometric shapes. best of luck with the project.

• 2 months later...

Well... It's slow going and I practically got nothing done over October, but here's a few updates (of course here it is November and I haven't even started the chor yet and I'm starting to sweat. I may need to take a Vacation just so i can do more Work!)

OH! And since it's been awhile since i've logged in I saw Gerry's Chrismas 2009 topic. Athough I haven't read through the whole thing yet, his stuff looks incredible... way way better than anything I've got... but it is my first toon, so can't expect much from me, right? right?... guys?... anyone?... jump in with morale boosts any time....

post-11782-1257417302_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1257417337_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1257417361_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1257417383_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1257417406_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1257417553_thumb.jpg

Glad to see this thread coming back to life! It's coming along nicely. Thanks for the comment on my project as well. btw over on Contributor's Cue I've got some christmas props you might be able to use...

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36002

That would be awesome! Thankyou so much and I'll be sure to check it out!

Spent my day redesigning the tree using the hair emitter, i think it looks more like a tree now.

1) old christmas tree

2)just the emitter on the trunk

3) emitter turned off

4) christmas tree/final edit

Gerry, I just looked at those models, again they are amazing and can defineately use some of them... soooo I may redesign the christmas tree again lol. Fur sure I'm replacing the bells (yours are incredibly beautful) the candlestick can go ontop of the mantle, how did you know i needed a drum?, the gumdrops i might add to my gingerhouse, i can enlarge the wreath on the lamppost for a wall decoration and a few more ornaments on the tree. This was so exciting and so helpful!!! thank you immeansly!!!

post-11782-1257477196_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1257477214_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1257477226_thumb.jpg

post-11782-1257477238_thumb.jpg

Spent my day redesigning the tree using the hair emitter, i think it looks more like a tree now.

1) old christmas tree

2)just the emitter on the trunk

3) emitter turned off

4) christmas tree/final edit

Gerry, I just looked at those models, again they are amazing and can defineately use some of them... soooo I may redesign the christmas tree again lol. Fur sure I'm replacing the bells (yours are incredibly beautful) the candlestick can go ontop of the mantle, how did you know i needed a drum?, the gumdrops i might add to my gingerhouse, i can enlarge the wreath on the lamppost for a wall decoration and a few more ornaments on the tree. This was so exciting and so helpful!!! thank you immeansly!!!

removed my old bells and bows and added Gerry's bright shiny new ones... just a slight change in detail and it looks completely different. Props to Gerry's Props... Thanks again

post-11782-1257494770_thumb.jpg

That's looking great, and I'm glad you could use some of the props. One thing you might change is the tree trunk is way too thick at the bottom. But your use of hair materials is working great! Much improved over the first version.

• 2 weeks later...