Hash, Inc. Forums

Rain Effect

flashawd

Hello - I have a project (cartoonish - not realistic) that I have a cloud that I need to have rain coming out of it raining on a character - then have an umbrella come into the scene and block the rain. Does anyone have samples of rain that they have done w/ fluids that they could post a link to? It's cartoonish, so the rain drops could be pretty big. Thanks for any suggestions - Eric

I think streaks (in the particle materials) are a good choice for this type of thing. I would also model a few "splashes" and make them particles that are constrained to the surface of the umbrella.

Hello - I have a project (cartoonish - not realistic) that I have a cloud that I need to have rain coming out of it raining on a character - then have an umbrella come into the scene and block the rain. Does anyone have samples of rain that they have done w/ fluids that they could post a link to? It's cartoonish, so the rain drops could be pretty big. Thanks for any suggestions - Eric

I got some fairly good rain effects using streaks, the 'raineffects' plug-in and particles in the first part of the Horrorthon book-trailer (john3d helped with a lot of this). As you can see there are dozens of small details from upward drop spashes to caustics window and shadow effects to water falling off an umbrella. Streaks did especially well in the 'look down' shots and particles again aced the splash off the top of the car and falloff from the umbrella. This may give you some ideas.

Hope this helps,

Rusty

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is curious - I went with fluids, made the particles very small they appear to be coming from the cloud raining on the character. I used "collision" on - but "die on impact" for when the other character walks in with the umbrella to shield him from the rain - they die when they hit the umbrella. Then they also die when they hit the ground, which I wanted - so there wasn't a big build up of water. It is test rendering now - when I finish the whole project I'll put it up. Thanks for all the suggestions.