Hash, Inc. Forums

poses and groups

Walter Baker

Hi All

Got several new problems.

1st I created an eye from 'itsjustme' tutorial

*the eye has a contact outside it that will open sideways

*created a combination pose that will open the contact and will dilate the eye at the same time

*at completion it worked perfect

I saved it as a right eye, and a left eye (2 separate models) both worked perfect

Now I bring them into my model separately place them.

Question 1: why do the eye parts appear in the groups as all separate parts not as a unit or model? (image 1)

Question 2: why did only 1 set of pose sliders show up in the model? (images 2&3) which only work the right eye?

Question 3: why does the pose not work as it did before, it goes way outside the model? (image 3)

Question 4: why did I loose my decal in each eye?

What I am looking for is for the contact to open sideways and the eye to dilate the to be able to dilate the eye as the light changes separately.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wally

image1_.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

• Hash Fellow
Now I bring them into my model separately place them.

How did you do this?

Question 1: why do the eye parts appear in the groups as all separate parts not as a unit or model? (image 1)

you mean "1" and "2"? or somethign else?

Question 2: why did only 1 set of pose sliders show up in the model? (images 2&3) which only work the right eye?
possibly the identical names were a conflict?

What I am looking for is for the contact...
do you mean the iris?

Hi John and Rob

Well to bring the eyes into the main model I went to Objects/Import Model, and imported,

eye left and eye right (2 separate models). Then dragged each eye onto my main model and placed them where they needed to be.

Rob your second question is image 1 the list of groups, the eye models are all individual groups,(iris, cornea, retina, etc) and it makes it difficult to grab the whole eye. each separate part has to be highlighted. Where as if you want the tongue you highlight the tongue, is it possible to group all these parts into one item (group)?

Your 4th question is as I call it a contact lens the is outside the eye. I will attach one of the models so you can look at it.

Thanks guys

Alien_Eye_Left.mdl

• Hash Fellow

-you can create an über group by selecting several groups and naming the "Untitled" group that appears.

-delete "User properties.pupil_dilate" unless you really wanted that to be affected by "cantact open/close"

eyescreen.png

-Unlock all the CPs you've locked

-RMB on the two poses in "User Properties" and rename them with "Left" at the end

eyeprops.png

-save the model as "Alien Eye Left"

-RMB on the two poses in "User Properties" and rename them with "Right" at the end

-save this modified model as "Alien Eye Right"

-Open the model you want to import the eyes into

RMB in the model window>Import>model.... choose"Alien Eye Left"

-position the left eye

RMB in the model window>Import>model.... choose"Alien Eye Right"

-position the right eye

you should now have left and right sliders for left and right eyes.

it works here.

I don't have a structure like "contact" in my eye. :blink:

I have a cornea but it's not blue and it doesn't open and close.

Ok here is what I found so far

If I shift select all parts and rename as 'untitled' or something else when imported into the model I still get the long list of parts as well as the new named one.

The problem with 'image 3' where the contact pose opens right through the model is because when I scaled the eye down to fit the model the relationship/pose is still full size to the original-full sized eye. So I assume then I will have to redo the relationships to the new sized eye???

• Hash Fellow
Ok here is what I found so far

If I shift select all parts and rename as 'untitled' or something else when imported into the model I still get the long list of parts as well as the new named one.

So? You want those in case you have to isolate them again while working on your model. You can hide them all in a folder if you don't like seeing them.

RMB Groups>new>folder

The problem with 'image 3' where the contact pose opens right through the model is because when I scaled the eye down to fit the model the relationship/pose is still full size to the original-full sized eye. So I assume then I will have to redo the relationships to the new sized eye???

Interesting, i didn't know you were scaling those eyes too.

A little testing finds that if I scale the eye before saving it, the smartskin scales with it. But you have to do this by going into bones mode, click in the model window until the model bone appears, hit S for scale, then hold down the CTRL while you adjust the size.

I'm impressed that works. Some clever people must have written this thing.

This is my finished test.

The object is for the dark contacts (sun glasses) to open when entering a house, then the eyes to dilate as they adjust to the light then for the contacts to close as she goes out into the sun.

Special Thanks to Rob and John for the help.

Wally

opening_eye.mov