Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need help with Smart skinning

Hazard6211

Hello again, just finished a figuring out the skeletol heirarchy for a character I am starting. Now my question is.........

When I smart skin a joint. As I move the sliders up and down in time line. Am I setting permanet characteristics? i.e. I bend the hip 90 degrees. does that limit the flex of the joint until i reset it? My character's right leg "disapears" and "reapears" as I try to move the joint in choreagraphy window. Also is it important to set all Joints? dont know if I being clear enough. I am so close to being able to create my toon walking and acting in the world. You know how I feel! I can almost see my ideas in real life. Please help!!!!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
Hello again, just finished a figuring out the skeletol heirarchy for a character I am starting. Now my question is.........

When I smart skin a joint. As I move the sliders up and down in time line.

"slider up and down in time line" I dont' know what you mean. This doesn't sound like smart skin.

Am I setting permanet characteristics? i.e. I bend the hip 90 degrees. does that limit the flex of the joint until i reset it?

smart relates the motion of one thing (usually mesh) to something else (perhaps a bone) but it doesn't limit the bone.

My character's right leg "disapears" and "reapears" as I try to move the joint in choreagraphy window.

Oh, oh! this doesn't sound right.

Tell us how you rigged your character. I'm thinking some essentials have been missed.

And PC or Mac?

Also is it important to set all Joints?
That "set" word sound like you may have a mis-notion about this. However, you smartskin the joints that need to bend smoothly. There are other solutions besides smartskin.

Dont know if I being clear enough. I am so close to being able to create my toon walking and acting in the world. You know how I feel! I can almost see my ideas in real life. Please help!!!!!

It WILL be cool once you get this going. But we need a few more details.

When I smart skin a joint. As I move the sliders up and down in time line. Am I setting permanet characteristics? i.e. I bend the hip 90 degrees. does that limit the flex of the joint until i reset it? My character's right leg "disapears" and "reapears" as I try to move the joint in choreagraphy window. Also is it important to set all Joints? dont know if I being clear enough. I am so close to being able to create my toon walking and acting in the world. You know how I feel! I can almost see my ideas in real life. Please help!!!!!

"slider up and down in time line" I dont' know what you mean. This doesn't sound like smart skin.

I right click the bone i want to attach the mesh to. "new smart skin" A window pops up. the tutorial I was using (Demented 3D) says to use the timeline window to bend the joints. It is for a much older version of HAM. I use 14.0.

smart relates the motion of one thing (usually mesh) to something else (perhaps a bone) but it doesn't limit the bone.

Okay got it!

Oh, oh! this doesn't sound right.

Tell us how you rigged your character. I'm thinking some essentials have been missed.

And PC or Mac?

PC. I figed the normal sketeton root to pelvis ect. the hierachy is sound im sure of it. However I did play with aim constraint and orient like contraint to a knee null and a hip null for each leg. I am unsure of myself doing this part. But the other legs works fine and they appear to be the same as far as the heirachy goes.

Hope this helps and thank very much!

• Hash Fellow
I right click the bone i want to attach the mesh to."new smart skin" A window pops up. the tutorial I was using (Demented 3D) says to use the timeline window to bend the joints. It is for a much older version of HAM. I use 14.0.

Smartskin isn't for attaching CPs to bones. You do that in the model window.

that guy is messed up. Smartskin was never for attaching CPs to bones.

Have you done the tutorials in TaoA:M? You'd be ahead if you had. You'd know that smartskin is not for attaching CPs to bones. ;)

PC. I figed the normal sketeton root to pelvis ect. the hierachy is sound im sure of it. However I did play with aim constraint and orient like contraint to a knee null and a hip null for each leg. I am unsure of myself doing this part. But the other legs works fine and they appear to be the same as far as the heirachy goes.

You're trying to create a rig from scratch your first time out. This is asking for an unhappy result.

Use one of the rigs that has directions on how to install it like TSM2 or Mark's 2008 rig. TAoA:M shows how to install the 2001 rig although that's not one of the better rigs.

You can find these in the "rigging" sub forum.

I right click the bone i want to attach the mesh to."new smart skin" A window pops up. the tutorial I was using (Demented 3D) says to use the timeline window to bend the joints. It is for a much older version of HAM. I use 14.0.

Smartskin isn't for attaching CPs to bones. You do that in the model window.

that guy is messed up. Smartskin was never for attaching CPs to bones.

Have you done the tutorials in TaoA:M? You'd be ahead if you had. You'd know that smartskin is not for attaching CPs to bones. ;)

You're trying to create a rig from scratch your first time out. This is asking for an unhappy result.

Use one of the rigs that has directions on how to install it like TSM2 or Mark's 2008 rig. TAoA:M shows how to install the 2001 rig although that's not one of the better rigs.

You can find these in the "rigging" sub forum.

I have done the tutorials. I know how to assign cp's. Just lost in how to fully rig the char. I will try as you suggest and import some rigs. Thank again!

• Hash Fellow

If you want a to try the absolute minimum leg rig see "The simplest IK leg" tutorial in the tutorial link in my signature.

But I recommend a more thought out rig for general use.