Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Major delay/lag During Model Construction

Mikal

Like the title says, I've created a model, and from what I've read, the program is lagging because there are so many cp points. I have an uber fast system and would think that it could handle a model like this. does anyone know any good optimization methods for AM?

My specs:

Quad-core 2.6

8gb DDR2

ATI 4870 X2

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rightclick your modelwindow and go to info,

there you get the patchcount of your specific model.

My expirience is that patch counts up to 10.000 are quite good to handle.

From at least 15.000 up I start to split my model into different parts and

assemble them in an action or chor.

(Obviously that has nothing much to do with your system (besides of Ram maybe ) but

with the way AM treats models, actions and chors differently.

In actions and chors you can handle a very large amount of patches.

Also make sure, that the "show particle/fur button is not activated.

Like the title says, I've created a model, and from what I've read, the program is lagging because there are so many cp points. I have an uber fast system and would think that it could handle a model like this. does anyone know any good optimization methods for AM?

My specs:

Quad-core 2.6

8gb DDR2

ATI 4870 X2

Thanks

Yeah, jakerupert is right. I too have a mean machine (well, it was when I bought it) but at certain patch counts things get real slow in the modeling window with certain operations... I'm talking 30 minutes to copy/paste some geometry (the duplication wizard can do the same copy in a second -- that tip from Martin). However, in addition to jakerupert's suggestions make sure you do not have a bunch of windows open in AM. Other then that, I split my models up into 3 or 4 models and I have 'hook' and 'catch' bones that have 'translate like' and 'orient like' constraints on in the chor with nothing else in it but the model. I save out the chor then when I need the model I import the chor. Works okay except for pose sliders which can be on several physical models. This has been reported repeatidly but no fix yet.

Cheers,

Rusty

Rightclick your modelwindow and go to info,

there you get the patchcount of your specific model.

My expirience is that patch counts up to 10.000 are quite good to handle.

From at least 15.000 up I start to split my model into different parts and

assemble them in an action or chor.

(Obviously that has nothing much to do with your system (besides of Ram maybe ) but

with the way AM treats models, actions and chors differently.

In actions and chors you can handle a very large amount of patches.

Also make sure, that the "show particle/fur button is not activated.

Went to info and this is what I had:

Total Patches: 15,320

5Point Patches: 1024

Total Hairs: 0

You will run into that even on uber machines especially if you have smooth view cranked all the way up. Also try defragging the hard drive, really makes a huge difference in AM.

That did help for sure!

• Admin

An additional note for those new to modeling with patches.

Watch out for 'internal patches'.

Internal patches are areas that become valid patches due to the surrounding geometry allowing valid but unplanned patches to form. This usually will occur as we try to keep our patch counts low.

An example would be a cylinder or tube with four cross sections.

As the tube extends in length internal patches will form.

One way to keep internal patches from forming is to keep your cross sections at 5 or above.

For the simplist geometry I like 5 cross sections as its easy to cap with a manual 5 point patch.

Six and Eight cross sections is more likely the norm.

A tell tale sign of internal patches is odd artifacting on the surface over where the internal patches are formed.

Bottom line: Avoid internal patches.

Without seeing your mesh, I cannot know for sure, but I'm going to guess that 15k patches is overkill for your model. Unless you are doing ultra detailed modeling, like Agep (Stian Walvaag) you probably don't need that many patches. Also, 1000 5-point patches sounds suspiciously high. Can you post a shaded/wireframe image of your model?

Some thing thought of.

Check if there multiple CP occupying the same place. This can occur if you have the

Tool/Options/ Unit “Paste/extrude offset” "CP Spacing" unselected and accidently hit the extrude instead of the lock.

To check this go around and randomly move CP (Select one at a time) and see if there are other CP’s in the same place.

Without seeing your mesh, I cannot know for sure, but I'm going to guess that 15k patches is overkill for your model. Unless you are doing ultra detailed modeling, like Agep (Stian Walvaag) you probably don't need that many patches. Also, 1000 5-point patches sounds suspiciously high. Can you post a shaded/wireframe image of your model?

Here are the images of the mesh.

post-11540-1247123795_thumb.png

post-11540-1247123806_thumb.png

You've got a lot of dead-ended splines and bad spline flow in there, Mikal. You could easily cut out about half of the splines you have in there. I circled some of the problem areas I found...I know there are a lot of others that I can't see in the image though.

It doesn't look like you are aware of hooks...a way to end a spline without using a control point.

You should probably read through the Basic Splinemanship tutorials here. There are more tutorials linked to in the forums and the Technical Reference and "The Art of Animation Master" can be downloaded in PDF format here.

Hope that helps.

-------------------------

EDIT

There are some modeling tutorials that you might find useful here (it's also here) or here. You can also take a look at a few models to get an idea of what good splineage looks like...something like Kong or the Leopard Queen Project.

EDIT

I did a little double-checking today and added more circling of problem areas...last night's circles are yellow and today's are red. There are still more (along with the need for an overall spline reduction), but that's what I see at the moment (from this side view). Another thing that I thought about looking at the image again...it looks like you have a lot of flipped normals. A description of normals can be found here.

Gwireframeshade_marked_update.png