Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

2 small newb questions on rendering

Hazard6211

1st... How are ppl rendering to get that polished movie look? 1080p/multi pass?

2nd... I use VGA or low and final for my rendering. a 32 second clip takes 2hrs on low/preveiw.

My question is. Will a faster system speed the process. I currently have a 1+MHZ duel core with 2+mb of ram and a 1g video card.

How much will a faster system speed up the rendering process?

Thank you to all that reply.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by "polished movie look"? Try rendering at 24fps, thats what movies are filmed at.

A faster system will speed up the render time. The increase in speed is relative to the upgrades to your hardware.

Photoman

• Hash Fellow

"polished movie look"... that could mean anything. :blink:

Good movies are usually lit and textured well. The resolution isn't a big factor in that.

Show an example and we might have better ideas. :)

2nd... I use VGA or low and final for my rendering. a 32 second clip takes 2hrs on low/preveiw.

My question is. Will a faster system speed the process. I currently have a 1+MHZ duel core with 2+mb of ram and a 1g video card.

I assume here you are talking about a 1 GHz dual core (didnt know there was one that low) and 2 GB of RAM.

On the other hand you got a 1 GB videocard... (1 GB V-RAM isnt around for as long as the 1 GHz PCs, if you ask me...)

Anyway: Lets say you get a 3,2 GHz Phenom II 955, 4 GB of RAM and all the additional stuff needed for that.

I would say the renderingtimes would at least 1/4. (maybe even 1/6 or more, but this is all just a guess)

A:M is highly using the CPU and the RAM for the renderingprocess.

The Phenom II 955 is a Quadcore-CPU with a core-speed (without overclocking) of about 3.2 GHz a core. I am running mine at 3.5 GHz.

You would have to start different instances of A:M to get the whole out, but with that you could gain much time (especially for animation-renderings, so several frames in a row).

Your current PC (assuming you are on a pc) has about 1GHz * 2 = 2 GHz of power (which isnt much, but depending on you CPU it can be more than it sounds),

The PII would have about 3,2GHz * 4 = 12,8 GHz of power. But be aware: This is only theoretically. In practise, these n-core systems are much slower but still it should make a huge difference.

And the PII isnt the fastes processor out there... it is only one of the once with the best price-ratio.

If you like better informations, please give us a few other infos: What CPU do you have precisly (1.000 MHz = 1 GHz, which brand, name of the CPU, etc.), etc.

*Fuchur*

First, if you only have 2MB of RAM, that would be a very old computer. I'm guessing you have 2GB of RAM.

A faster processor and more RAM will always help. The amount of RAM in your video card only affects the speed of your realtime rendering, not the final render.

Keep in mind that a lot of things affect rendering times...hair, reflections, refraction, raytraced shadows, Ambient Occlusion, Subsurface Scattering, materials, number and type of lights, etc. For 32 seconds of video, assuming 24 FPS, you're getting about 6.4 frames per minute (even less per frame if you're using 30 FPS)...less than ten seconds per frame. I've seen some frames take several hours, so that doesn't sound too bad to me (depending on what your scene is composed of). Hopefully, my math is correct...it's not my strongest subject.

Getting a "polished movie look" depends on a lot of factors...materials, texturing, lighting, good modeling, etc. Using multipass on your renders does tend to improve the look of the render (and increase render times), but it's only a small part.

Hope that helps.