Hash, Inc. Forums

3D milled models

Has anyone here had one of their models converted to a physical object using a 3D printer? William posted a while back about doing that: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...&hl=printer

If he's converted some of your models, let's see the result. I was in talks with him, but he never got back to me after we started discussing details.

Actually, I stand corrected. I was going over my e-mails again, and William did send a picture of the AT-AT model that had been partly milled. Forgot all about getting this photo.

I am still hoping to get a copy of some of the models I sent him.

There was no money involved, but knew that right from the start. In turn for using the models, we were to get a copy of the model in return.

I don't think it was Will Sutton involved with this.

Al

at_at_foam_pre_renders.jpg

I've had ear models made of tough ABS plastic using a 3D printing service by a company called Design Research & Development Corp: DRD

Here is the thread: Ear Rapid Prototyping

You might remember this thread, Eric, since we talked about your Nautilus model.

William Sutton used a service called "3D Art-To-Part": 3D Art-To-Part

Here is a photo of the ears I had made:

Ears800.jpg

When I had the ears made it was $50 per cubic inch, so a 4' long Nautilus might be a tad expensive. Their 3D printer has a size limit of 1 square foot--anything that will fit in a cube 1' on a side, they can make. They use ABS plastic, which makes for a very durable prototype.

Their website still advertises 50 cents. I suppose that is relatively inexpensive in their world, but in mine it's like carving out of gold. This 3D printing business is going to get as cheap as printing on paper, but were not quite there yet. So no ABS 3d model for me yet :(

Hey all,

Yes, still lurking around. I have been off the list for a couple of months as I have been busy building a company on the side. Also the game company I was working for, closed it's doors and I had to scamble to land on my feet and the wife is pregnant. Sorry for those still waiting, like Tralfaz. I just sent you an email. I have yours going into the printer this month and the details on the fusion core of the JP2 are SWEET! And in resin! AT-AT is going to look great in N-scale and also in resin.

Also, I costs me roughly $2500 or more to bring a model to a plastic form, so I pick jobs carefully. The models I have picked are the ones that will best suit my purposes, I know a bit self centered, but that is what I stated in my original email. But, because I have love for AM and the community I thought I would offer a service or exchange. But my paying gigs have to come first.

Eric, you are fantastic modeler and I have some possible projects for you and I will discuss those with you later if you wish. But, at the time I did not have "hole" for you to fill. I would ask in the future that before you label my actions "unprofessional", you might drop me an email and see whats up and get answers, you have my email address.

Now, I have printed models for some people on the list, and I am in the process of printing more and keeping to my word. Again, If you want to know what is up, drop me an email and I will gladly inform you.

The DXF format exported from hash works really well and I have had no trouble so far with it.

If any have questions bring them to me, happy to answer them with in reason of course. I have not bailed out or forgotten, I just got buried and overrun. But I have dug out now!

Best regards,

William

I had this guy in like 2005 or so, produced via stl, that I exported from A:M as an obj.

MikeFitz3d1.jpg

Had it painted and sprayed with a clear coat. It was kinda pricey, but it helped get me some good work prototyping for a couple toy companies.... so it easily paid for it self...

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com