Hash, Inc. Forums

Nautilus

Pixel, your stamps look fine, but I am talking about a decal that is a map of rivets, not one single rivet decal stamped several times. This subamrine has over 3000 rivets, and I 'd like to avoid stamping those in AM. Making complete maps of large plates in Photoshop and then applying them in AM is much better. Now if Stain can only figure out what's going on with my maps???

Did you try to isolate the rivets from the background with an alpha? You will have to make them lighter than 50% gray because for some reason they will have a slight edge sunk down.

I had a project that I ended up using an alpha for my displacement for some plates which worked out really well but the image was black and wanted the effect of sunken letters.

• Hash Fellow

There is a problem with displacement maps.

Only one will be recognized on any patch. Any others will be rendered as bump maps.

this patch has the same map applied four times but only the first is actually being rendered as displacement.

disptest0.jpg

Stian:

this must be a bug in V.13 because it took 12:14 minutes for the first pass to complete, and to top it off, the artifacts were as bad as ever. This is the project file you had no problems with in V.15. I know, I know, upgrade. Well, when it comes to making our house payment or upgrading, I pick the house payment and groceries.

Thanks for testing the file Stian ;)

Eric

Thanks Nino :)

Well, I seem to have narrowed down the displacement problem to AO renders in V.13t. Displacement seems to work fine until I use AO. No matter.

For the Wheelhouse I will use a combination of bump maps and geometry to portray the rivets. It's taken me some time, but I've finally gotten the bump rivets to look like I want in great part to Matt's help. Thanks Matt. Here is the render of the partially riveted Wheelhouse.

Chuggin_along52a0.jpg

Hoffendlich ganz toll!!! Bin in Muenchen aufgewachsen.

Here is a small update on the rivet progress. It's slow going because I am using old Disney photos and DVD footage for the most accurate rivet placement. Every rivet will be accounted for and there are over 30,808 of them. I should be done next year :blink::lol:

Chuggin_along54a0.jpg

Boy, you'll have used up quite a few drill bits by the time you are done. I did re-roof my own house (nailing by hand), but that was only about 20,000 nails.

I think Disney just glued M&Ms onto the original and painted over them.

That is a tremendous amount of detail, but what a beautiful model. Perhaps you should use it to create a virtual tour. You could charge admission, or maybe sell it on an interactive DVD.

Nice work!

It's taking me a while since I am having trouble with the orientation of the sweeper object. When I have a path thats not on a direct x,y, or z axis, I can't figure out the angle of the target object to make it align with the path. So many times I have to select the completed swept objects and turn them so they are parallel to the plates I am workin on. Can anyone give me a quick insight into sweepers magical orientation properties?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the first length of hull section riveted. I took a while since I was using reference pics from the original Nautilus prop used in the making of the movie. Npw that I have sort of a work flow, I hope to get the rest of the sections done a bit faster.

Chuggin_along73a0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ethan, come on now, you've been on the sauce since before I found it. Just look at your Pixar quality characters. I've reached into the mechanical drawer, and you're in the organic. I believe we are both expressing our love for this work in a fine way :)

Btw, funny you should resurface this thread, because I've been meaning to get back to finishing the hull rivet patterns and got sidetracked by the Millennium Falcon.

Thanks for the compliment and keep up the good work

Cheers

Eric

• 4 months later...

see, that's the point where I would deem the project not worthy, I haven't got patience in that area of nitpicky little things. I can wait around for some things, but not others, this is one of them! That is more proof of Eric's skill as he does have that patience

Riveting! (Sorry, I've been working on taxes, so I'm not right in the head at this moment...)

Looking gorgeous! I can see where placing all those rivets accurately could be maddening. I'm guessing you at least take advantage of symmetry across the center plane to save yourself work--at least for the decaling.

So are you still toying with the idea of building a physical model? Or will this current project cure you of that?

Amazing work!