Hash, Inc. Forums

Nautilus

Very nice work Eric, great details. And now for the inevitable question. Can you please show us the wireframe? :) I am curious of how you solved some of the details

Thanks for the comments. Here is a wireframe with disclaimer: The hull is sectioned into that many patches for a reason - this was modeled after a detailed scale plan I drew, that will be used in the physical construction of the model. Since this will be a real model with real bulkheads, I decided to model them in CG also. There is a separate model of only the bulkheads in all their glory. One more thing, the ram is left over from the old model as can be seen by the great number of splines to make that little thing. It will be changed too.

Stian, I feel that this wireframe is a bit large and too general. If you want detail shots of any section, just let me know.

Finally, I included a design study of what the sub would look like if constructed out of brass wire - see pic below.

Eric

Chuggin_along16a0.jpg

frame0.jpg

2sculpture0.jpg

Thanks Eric. The wireframe you uploaded is more than enough. Very nice and clean wire. The brass render is awesome! If you plan on making a real version of it, please make an thread about it. It would be fun to watch the process

Really nice job on the Nautilus Eric.

I have a book on Special F/X from Starlog Magazine. It has the blueprints to the Nautilus from the Disney movie. It has cross-sections diagrams and photos. If you are interested, I see if I can dig up the book and can scan them for you.

Al

Hi Eric,

Here are the scanned images from the book I mentioned. It has the blue prints with cross sections, some photos of the Nautilus under construction, and a couple of finished photos.

Sorry, I don't Skype. Seems like the older I get, the less I like technology! (This view on life doesn't fit in well with my profession of being a computer programmer... :lol: )

Al

Nautilus1.jpg

Nautilus2.jpg

Nautilus3.jpg

Nautilus4.jpg

Nautilus5.jpg

Nautilus6.jpg

Nautilus7.jpg

Nautilus8.jpg

Nautilus9.jpg

Eric, I happened upon this web site that might interest you: The SubCommittee

I was looking for pictures of this 18' "manned" model of the Nautilus: Pat Regan's Nautilus

Not as authentic a replica of the Disney Nautilus as your model, though (the pasta bit is missing). And the interior is not what I would call "lavish". :D

I'll be really interested in how you fabricate the brass model when you do.

PR_10.jpg

PR_9.jpg

Bill:

I have perused both of those sites in my research of this model. But thank you anyway. You never know what I might have missed.

I wonder if I could start a build thread under Special topics if I make sure there are plenty of references to my Nautilus model?

Here is a render of the Nautilus lifeboat also known as the Skiff.

Chuggin_along17a0.jpg

This is somewhat unusual, but the total patch count right now is exactly 17,000 - no kidding. I'm surprised by the even number.

I'll re-render the larger view of the Nautilus since I have made several changes and then I'll see what the time to render will be. I am using 30% AO with 16 passes and one key light. Will post once completed.

The patch count is actually 14530. Once I started the render, I noticed some artifacts and re-examined the model. There were some duplicate splines that I missed when I did a copy paste operation of the lower hull details.

The total time to render with 16 pass AO at 30% with one key light at a size of 1920 x 1200 is 51 minutes. Again, I'm not worried about time or patch count since I am trying to get a very accurate and detailed version of the Nautilus. Note the working Skiff (lifeboat) covers.

Chuggin_along23a0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing model but I have one question..

The pipes on the bottom supposed to have flat hexagognal sides?

I used the the sweeper for pipes and seems to work best from top view projection. Also helps if you add an extra segments slightly offset so the inside profile doesn't overlap.

sweeper.jpg

First of all, thank you for all the great comments, it makes it all worthwhile.

In short, yes, the pipes are just as they are supposed to be according to all the Disney plans, straight and hexagonal. That's good tip though on working with sweeper and a nice diagram to boot :)

I've started on a revised rivet pattern and am having a bit of trouble. When I do a quick render in the modeling window, the displacement map for the rivets comes out great. When I do an actual render with AO, the part that has the displacement map has grainy artifacts all over it. Before I post the problem, I'm going to experiment a bit and try to figure this out. Probably something to do with the jpg.

Eric

Try bump mapping? little things like that might work better as a bump. I was making some mug models that had complex raised scroll work and someone here suggested bump map instead of displace and it does work better in many cases. I don't think you can use the bake option with displacements either so keep that in mind.

Someday I'll be cool and have 15f for my cd release... someday.....

Probably something to do with the jpg

Don't use jpg's, they have compression artifacts that displacement map doesn't like. Use Targa.

Nice update by the way

Bump mapping is an option I will consider, but I would still like to know if displacement maps and AO don't mix. I even tried a plain 128,128,128 gray jpg as a displacement map - it should not have done anything to the mesh - and it came out the same as all the other tests, major artifacts.

Chuggin_along48a0.jpg