Hash, Inc. Forums

new landscape

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made some adjustments and rerender the depth map.

I'm using a spherical material effector with a double gradient, with black and white attributes with ambiance intensity set to 100%. I remove most of the images and materials from the models (need hair images for the leave and foliage). I place the effector where I want it in focus and aim it at the camera. Remove all the lights and render. Then I use gimp with the focus blur plugin and use it as a depth map on the colored image. Here's the depth map and a new render.

ddd0.jpg

landscape_depth4.jpg

• Hash Fellow
That's brilliant, Mark!

It sound good enough for a feature request.;) It would be a good alternative to A:M's DOF if this technique could be selected as an optional render pass. A:M's depth of field limits could probably be used to calculate where the effector would be.

If A:Ms current regular render DOF effect could be allowed to produce a greater blur it would probably be quite good, it's already being driven by the depth map A:M uses internally.

Thanks Michel. I guess you're the only one who likes the new render. :D

I made some changes to the set textures, hopefully for the better. I changed the hair image for the foreground pine, retextured the rocks and repositioned the foliage hair to cover the harsh line of the closest rock to the ground. I'll post the new renders when they finish, it's going to take awhile.

Nice DOF, Mark!

The one thing that bothers me a little is the hard line of the river's edge along the river bank.

If you add a little transparency to the water it might help the transition between water and the right bank. You could add some delicate greenery and flowering plants trailing into the water to break up that edge a bit.

Otherwise very nice indeedy!:)

I would like to see that tree in the foreground bent over and then allowed to spring back, like the pine in the first Shreck movie. ;)

Thanks guys. There's still a few issues that I want to fix, but I'm getting closer.

Paul, the water does have some transparency, but the reflections overpower it. I could try raising the transparency, but I don't think it's going to do too much. I didn't really want to add more plants, maybe a few more rocks instead.

As for the bending tree, the only thing that animates in this scene is the water, but I don't plan on rendering an animation at 13.5 hrs a frame. ;)

• Admin

Mark,

I was about to post my usual 'impressive' and press on but I caught something out of the corner of my eye in your last posted image.

Just above the grey rock front/right there is a shadow of a tree that is vertical (with parallel lines). Perhaps there is a plane used in the DOF that is set to accept shadows there? As this shadow is falling on foliage I think something is not right.

The image you already know is spectacular.

I need to really study your technique for enhancing DOF.

Its an effect I know I'll need someday someday... and the control... I really like.

Thanks everyone.

Rodney, the shadow of the tree was always there, this is one of the issues I want to fix. The problem is the shadow is falling on the hair foliage, which is a flat plane. I could fix it in post, but I'll probably add geometry there, I just don't know what yet.

• *A:M User*

Mark

What has always impressed me about this shot is the layout of the tress which causes your focus to run down the river. I love that tree on the left and the set of branches at the top of the tree. We had a tree out side my window growing up and it reminds me so much of that tree. It looks so real

Steve :rolleyes:

Thanks David.

I did some messing around in gimp and upped the contrast. It seems to make the DOF stand out more.

This looks great! :) Is there any chance you could try rendering with toon shader? I have a 2D project coming that will require a dense forrest similar to your scene and I'd like to see how what you've created looks.

Thanks!

Rob

I debated on whether or not I should comment on this shot. It is truly an incredible piece of work, one that I doubt I'll ever come close to duplicate. That said, the one thing that always comes to mind when I see renders like this one, is that it reminds me of a model. I almost expect to see a hand come down with a pair of tweezers and another tree to "plant". I guess it looks almost too perfect for me. My mind keeps wanting to see the film grain.

Again this is not a criticism, since my limited skills puts me in no position to offer any. Just a comment.

Great job at any rate.

I agree with fae_alba, the DOF is so shallow that it looks like it was shot with a macro lens, or a lens with a shifted focal plane. To achieve a more "accurate" DOF I would have less blur, most landscapes are shot with aperatures like f/32 and f/64 so that it minimzes the DOF and everything is in focus.

BTW love he foliage!

Photoman

Rob, I don't think this would render well toon rendered. There's too much detail that's not needed for a 2d scene.

The DOF and the model look doesn't bother me too much. Though a giant hand coming down, to place something in the scene, could be an interesting idea. I may have to try that.

Thanks.