Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

new landscape

Yes another landscape. I haven't done much in A:M lately, creative block. I finally forced myself to start a new project. Still alot to do, but it's a start. This was just a test render at a low resolution and scaled up, so the quality isn't great, but it will give you an idea. The ground and water aren't textured yet and I still want to add a few more props and foliage.

landscape1.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone.

Matt, of course I'll use hair for the grass, what else would I use. ;)

Andy, I used one sun and global ambience set in the chor, still need to work on that. The sky is a decaled dome.

Jeff, I used the treez plugin for the regular trees and modeled the pines. And of course hair for the leaves. Holmes has a tut already on how to use the treez plugin located here.

Here's a small update. The hair grass/weeds are just temporary (image used). I'll probably add a few emitter for variety.

landscape0.jpg

Here's another update. It's just a screen grab with a partial render.

Modified the hair foliage, which I thinks looks pretty good. I'm not sure if I'm happy with the ground texture yet though, still working on that.

new_test_render.jpg

Mark:

Beautiful work! I did a water scene a couple of years ago and found that the transition from water to shore is very important. The water will have a slightly lighter appearance the closer it gets to shore, and the shore will have a definite boundary marking the different levels the water has reached. If the water moves a bit with the wind, etc, then you will also have a darker edge around the shore denoting where the water is lapping. In your scene, you may also have some water undercutting parts of the shore creating some ragged edges where the earth broke and fell into the water. Just a thought :)

It might just be my personal taste, or maybe my neck of the woods (Wisconsin), but I would like at least some patches of darker brown earth in there :). But like I said it's beautiful the way you have it.

Thanks again guys.

Matt, the ground texture is a double gradient with the attributes set as bitmaplus. So, it is a material, but it uses images for the textures.

Sorry pixelplucker, but I would never import sub-D models into A:M for any reason, A:M has the treez plugin for making trees.

BTW, both plugins (bitmaplus and treez) were created by Marcel Bricman, thanks Marcel.

At 720x405 it rendered in around 3 hrs, I think (multipass off), the last image was rendered at 1600x900 and it took 9hrs and 40 mins (multipass on, 5 passes) the longest render I've ever done. So, it's really not practical for animation. Hair and reflections usually make for long render times.

• 7 months later...

Mark,

I'm trying to model a cascade Pine Bonsai tree for a project I'm working on, and I remembered you masterful job you did on this landscape. When I first saw this image, my first thought was that the trees were from a photo.

I used the treez plugin for the regular trees and modeled the pines

I'd like to learn from your modeling expertise. You have such a good eye for the graceful, natural curves of the branches.

How did you handle the needles on the pine tree that's on the left side of this image?

Mark,

I'm trying to model a cascade Pine Bonsai tree for a project I'm working on, and I remembered you masterful job you did on this landscape. When I first saw this image, my first thought was that the trees were from a photo.

I used the treez plugin for the regular trees and modeled the pines

I'd like to learn from your modeling expertise. You have such a good eye for the graceful, natural curves of the branches.

How did you handle the needles on the pine tree that's on the left side of this image?

If you saw what those pines looked like without the needles, you'd laugh. You could probably get good results with the treez plugin, it's just alot of trial and error. The needles are hair with an image.

• 1 month later...