Hash, Inc. Forums

The Unfortunate End of the C27...

Bought a WWI flying game a few months ago. Given my weakness for flying things, it spills over into A:M. Got an itch to play with Hansa-Brandenburgs...here's the result.

On Dec.11, 1917 a flight of three W-12s led by ObLtn. Friedrich Christiansen, was on the homeward leg of their patrol. Nearing the coast, the No.3 plane, the 'Tail-End Charley', spoted an Asta-Torres airship and dove to the attack. Christiansen and his other wingman turned back to join in, but by the time they arrived it was burning. Neither plane could add much to the process as the C27 was already going down. Being Flt. Leader, Christiansen claimed the kill, and it was confirmed. After the war, in subsequent statements, he acknowledged the role of his No.3, and some accounts credit each with half a kill.

C27_ATTACK.jpg

W_12_OUTWARD_BOUND.jpg

Curse you, Red Baron! Those are my chaps in the airship!

Too true. The crew of five were all lost. Even though the C27 probably wasn't as high as I have it, still...it's a long way to fall. And into the North Sea.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

John B: There's a zillion books out there already. That's where I get these anecdotes. This is well ploughed ground.

• 9 months later...