Hash, Inc. Forums

My Hand

Hi guys. Here is a small project I am working on inbetween other projects. I used my own hand as referance as I thought that coud be quite handy (bad pun intended). I might try to rig it with 'Steve's Hand Gizmo', but since I'm very bad at rigging, I'm not sure I'll be able to do so. Anyway, let me know what you think

Best regards

Stian

hand.jpg

• Hash Fellow

That looks great.

Except for maybe the thumb. I think making it on the same plane as the fingers is an unnatural default position and harder to CP-weight so it moves well.

I've found this easier to rig:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=292232

Creepy! No, brilliant! No, creepy!

Hey, whatever happened to that cathedral model?

Thanks

The cathedral project is far from dead, I'm just waiting for some drawings of it, since I currently just have drawing/blueprint of the westfront. I'm going to a meeting with the people that is responsible for the renovation of the cathedral, they will provide me with more drawing

I tried to adjust the thumb as suggested. I've also started the riggingprocess. Not done yet, learning about cp weighting (jupp, never used cp weighting before :blush: ). Attached are a few more renders, with two of them in a test pose

hand0.jpg hand1.jpg hand2.jpg

learning about cp weighting (jupp, never used cp weighting before :blush: ).

Wow, I feel like I'm in some good company. I'm just working on cp weighting for the first time too.

Great work on these hands, Stian.

Yes, this is REALLY cool stuff, Stian- as always!

Hate to interject the 'morose'...I'm not really into this kinda 'Hallowe'en' stuff... BUT--- it would be sweet to animate this model 'skitting across the floor' , blood pulsing and squirting as it goes... bone, veins, nerves and carpal tunnels dangling from the wrist... OK I'll stop now.

No holds barred - that's just plain fist clenching, blood-curdling terrific, Stian ...

it would be sweet to animate this model 'skitting across the floor' , blood pulsing and squirting as it goes... bone, veins, nerves and carpal tunnels dangling from the wrist... OK I'll stop now.

I'm glad you said that - because that's exactly what occurred to me...but I didn't want to be a ghouly gurl.

This is an interesting diversion from your usual brilliantly crafted mechanical modeling. Looking quite good.

About thumbs:

The thumb has the only metacarpal bone that moves freely.

It only has two "phalanges" (finger) bones sitting on top of that metacarpal.

The other fingers have three "phalanges" bones each sitting on a metacarpal that does not move freely.

The thumb and its moveable metacarpal sit on a carpal bone that juts out from the plane of the palm--like a little shelf that sticks out at a right angle to the palm. If you feel where the metacarpal of the thumb joins this little shelf as you look at your palm, you can feel that the thumb is jointed almost exactly in front of the index finger metacarpal--not to the side of it. You can also see that the joint is right near the wrist joint just a little to the right of the biggest tendon there at the wrist.

If you place the model's thumb bone accordingly, you should get a more realistic movement of the thumb, and the palm will fold more realistically.

Pretty amazing work consider you had to duct tape the mouse to the stump where your hand used to be attached! What dedication to the craft! :P

Thank you for your comments guys. I have been wanting to do a few test tracking some video and add the hand, but I haven't had time lately. too many projects going on at the moment. However, I tried to animate the hand, darn, animating is hard! Respect to all the animators out there:) Hopefully I find some time soon to show some animation

Interesting to examine the splinage of your work. Interesting how you intersected two loops at some of the joints. Judging from the renders it works well. Thanks for showing the splines!
Yeah, about that, since I basically know nothing about rigging, I find it very hard to model for rigging. The solution for those joints may be bad, I don't know, but it is to late to change it now

Ok, so I had to play with some animation of the hand. Yeah I know the animation is bad, but I'm not done yet, more tweaking to come. I'm trying to achieve the sense of a nervous/edgy hand. I will work some more on the animation when I find some time. I also might try to add some fluids later :)

hand.mov

screencapture of the testanimation:

hand_tracking_000.jpg

Yeah, about that, since I basically know nothing about rigging, I find it very hard to model for rigging. The solution for those joints may be bad, I don't know, but it is to late to change it now

I'd say you did a great job at modeling and rigging. Looks very natural...if you can say that about a disembodied hand.

:D

A funny addition? I think you mean a funny addiction.

Is PFHoe the free one?

HATE to say this... I noticed some black spots on the wrist in the animation... I get those too from time to time... I think they are decal glitches... did you burn your textures?

A funny addition? I think you mean a funny addiction.
Haha!

Is PFHoe the free one?
No, its £49. But its worth the cost, which I think is very cheap. Its an easy to use 3D tracker with export to A:M and several other apps.

HATE to say this... I noticed some black spots on the wrist in the animation... I get those too from time to time... I think they are decal glitches... did you burn your textures?
Yeah, I've noticed. I think it is a hook causing the crease