Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Free Models?

Rob_T

I noticed a few posts scattered around where folks have offered up models for use free of charge for any purpose but there didn't seem to be a dedicated area for such philanthropy.

Did I miss it? Is there a section for free use models?

Has the community as a whole ever gotten together to create a free use library for anyone in the community to pick from?

I've got big plans and a lot of work to do. I'll need all the help I can get and will take whatever I can get so I'm obviously curious.

Thanks. ;)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
Has the community as a whole ever gotten together to create a free use library for anyone in the community to pick from?

That would be the "Extras CD" c. 2006 or so. I believe the contents are downloadable but I know not the link.

Rob, Eggington has some free models here.

Tom, Rabbit and Knight are in there. I can't use those for commercial purposes can I? I thought that stuff was all someone's IP? They also seem to have a ton of stuff for sale under thier "Eggprops" name.

Those guys do some amazing stuff though. Wow.

Robcat I got the extras disc when I bought the program. It came with it. Lot's of good stuff on there but I get a lot of compatability warnings about older stuff when I open them.

I saw Spleen put up a guitar the other day and I saw someone else posted a lamp post. I was just wondering if there was an area where folks go to donate thier models. Since my work will be for commercial purposes I don't want anyone saying I stole thier stuff... so I was wondering if there was an area where people who want to be altruistic with thier models could drop them off.

I'm also wondering if there is a reason Hash might not want to have such an area on the forums.

Just curious.

• Hash Fellow
Robcat I got the extras disc when I bought the program. It came with it. Lot's of good stuff on there but I get a lot of compatability warnings about older stuff when I open them.

If they appear to work, they'll work. If they have a fault it was probably something that was there already. The warning is just a CYA thing to perfectionists.

... so I was wondering if there was an area where people who want to be altruistic with thier models could drop them off.

I'm also wondering if there is a reason Hash might not want to have such an area on the forums.

Perhaps the only reason Hash doesn't do it themselves is lack of people power to manage it, and not wanting to be responsible for maintaining 1000 models against every possible thing that might crop up when the software is revised.

Most free models will need some revision to be ready for a new purpose. Many have rigs that were "ok" in their day but we would consider lacking now. Same model, still works the way it always did, but now we expect more from them.

• Admin

The forum may not be the best place for collections of models.

Its not really designed for such a thing.

Having said that... I've briefly tested an area of the forum for just that purpose.

I also recently purchased webspace to test out the idea using more public space.

With all of the innovators and contributors that would support the idea I think we could have a viable solution online by 2010 but there is a lot to consider.

From a purely A:M user perspective, I hesitate to pursue the idea of putting user driven content on Hash Inc server space as there are a lot of interesting things you run into with 'free models'; Bandwidth, copyright, etc. In short, free isn't free.

It should be noted that Hash Inc has always supported the community's effort to distribute content. While I've owned A:M this has been in the way of funding the collection and distribution of A:M CD content which evolved into an Extra CD which evolved into an Extra DVD. Absolutely stunning content contributed to the community.

If the A:M Community is up to the challenge we could easily field another round of Extras in 2010.

As this topic is especially of interest to Newbies I welcome the discussion from everyone here.

• Admin
My guitars are welcome for a start!

...and with that we are off and running.

Extra content project initiated as of 3 Jun 09 with a tentative completion date: 1 Oct 2010. (Could be delivered sooner but... we'll see)

Who else is in-terested?

My guitars are welcome for a start!

...and with that we are off and running.

Extra content project initiated as of 3 Jun 09 with a tentative completion date: 1 Oct 2010. (Could be delivered sooner but... we'll see)

Who else is in-terested?

dont forget the acoustic guitar as well

• Admin
dont forget the acoustic guitar as well

But of course. An acoustic guitar should be part of everyone's library of resources. :)

On behalf of the A:M Community let me say, 'Thanks' for the contributions!

There is a lot to iron out. Those that helped build the Extra CD/DVD and have worked on similar projects know just how tough a job this is. Perhaps we can use your models as a test case for how best to collect, organize, optimize and distribute the next generation of A:M resources.