Hash, Inc. Forums

Video reference

TRN

hello all you talented animators!!!,

You probably herd this 1000 times but can I use a video as a rotoscope?

like Live reference and animate it by frame by frame?

if so.....HOW?

because i think itll be easer to record myself and others and overlap it and animate it....

Can one do this??

THANKS a BUNCH

• Admin

Sure can.

You important a movie file (MOV or AVI) the same way you do sequential images.

Once you have the video/images in A:M simply drag and drop it on your Camera in the Choreography. You can also Right Click on your Camera in the Project Workspace listing, select New/Rotoscope and select your video sequence from the list -if- you've already imported the imagery.

Note: You may have more success converting your video to sequential images as that will strip the audio and any strange codecs out of the images.

Ho TRN

I have been trying that for this past year, then about a month some how ( with a lot of help here ) it just came together.

I took a video clip in QUICKTIME and exported it as a TGA Animation (Image Sequence)

The next step I don't remember exactly but I imported either the first image of the sequence or the whole set of clips into AM under 'images'

Then I dragged that into my CHOR under Camera 1 as a rotoscope, it worked! WOW I saved it before I screwed it up again.

From that I imported a model and just played with it 'frame_by_frame' and it all worked.

When I rendered I had to turn OFF the Alpha channel thing so the rotoscope would show.

Then I removed the rotoscope and replaced it with a photo and imported another model and have been animation it to match the original model.

Hope this helps

Wally

EvanPindit3BEST.mov

Lilufobuzz3Nevik.mov