Hash, Inc. Forums

Chat Room = Ghost Town

Rob_T

I just got around to checking out the chat room for the first time and there was no one home. The last few messages were from some dude plaintively mewling for help with rigging and a bit of a troll correcting his spelling. LOL.

But those were days old.

I'm surprised such a neat feature gets so little use.

Does anyone know if the Hash, Inc. reps still do a once a week chat in there or not... and if so when?

;)

that window doesn't work in my version.

Post a message telling everyone to come to the A:M forum (www.hash.com/forums) to ask their questions.

Ok. I'll do that. Frankly I'm shocked with all the help that you provide the company doesn't keep your versions updated. You are a true A:M Ambassador.

It use to be used more not sure why it stopped. a lot of people just stay hidden because being contacted in the middle of something can cause problems. It has always worked on my pc not sure if there is a problem with macs

I find it very distracting. Also if I forget to "turn it off" it scares the hell out of me when someone chimes in. Literally I jump out of my skin. Rush of adrenaline. I had to deactivate it. When I have AM open I plan to work not chat. I don't see the purpose of "chat" software inside a program for getting something done. If I need to chat there are plenty of dedicated programs for that and my hair won't turn white and fall out when I'm contacted. ;)

-vern

I used to always have the chat window open. With 2 monitors I have plenty of room for that and I don't mind to help people out every now and then. But A:M started crashing more often on start up when trying to log in to the community and when this happened the only way I could get A:M started again was to disable the auto login via the registry. When this happened more and more I decided not to use the chat in A:M anymore.

Well, I tend to stay logged into it. And as evidenced by Fuchur popping in today and scaring the crap out of me (I asked him if he was the Matrix) you can start a conversation with anyone logged in... even if they have the community window closed.

I can see how that cold be really distracting if it happened while I was working intensely and focused on important stuff.

Still, as a newbert I think it's pretty cool. :D

Yes, it was fun for a while... then the novelty wore off. I am prone to being frightened by simple things when I am deeply engrossed in work like this. It could be a tiny breeze causing a small scrap of paper to flutter on the desk and I will jump like a gun shot went off. One time I freaked out when the change in my pocket shifted slightly against my leg while I was in my "creative trance". My headphone wires are the worst. They will shift and fall funny and brush up against my neck, shoulder or arms and scare the bejesus out of me (I really need to get a wireless headphone). I had to turn the AM community thingy off. Too much stress. ;)

-vern

Yes, it was fun for a while... then the novelty wore off. I am prone to being frightened by simple things when I am deeply engrossed in work like this. It could be a tiny breeze causing a small scrap of paper to flutter on the desk and I will jump like a gun shot went off. One time I freaked out when the change in my pocket shifted slightly against my leg while I was in my "creative trance". My headphone wires are the worst. They will shift and fall funny and brush up against my neck, shoulder or arms and scare the bejesus out of me (I really need to get a wireless headphone). I had to turn the AM community thingy off. Too much stress. ;)

-vern

ooh! You sound like fun!

BOOOGA BOOGA BOOOGA!

:lol:

When i discovered that the community pane in the app needed a separate login from the forum I pretty much blew it off. If it were a *shorthand* version of the forum that would be neat, but it seemed redundant.

When i discovered that the community pane in the app needed a separate login from the forum I pretty much blew it off. If it were a *shorthand* version of the forum that would be neat, but it seemed redundant.

It is absolutely not redundant... it is a life-chat. So totally different to the forum... like ICQ in A:M.

In my opinion it only misses two features to make it more than powerful for teaching and helping:

- Live-Screencapture

- Data-Transfer

With that it would be mindblowing and the only app I know that could do that internally.

*Fuchur*

Yes but... in my opinion there are dedicated standalone applications that already have those file transfer functions and chat functions etc so why put it in AM? Just run them along side AM. Those other programs are BETTER at it than AM ever could be. I don't want the limited resources of Hash to be wasted on trivial "novelties" like "chatting" in the program. Even MS word doesn't have a "chat" feature does it? If Hash removed the chat feature I won't lose sleep over it (unless the headphone cord brushed my leg).

Does anyone need Skype to have a 3D modeling/animation plugin? I mean... you may want to animate something while you are typing or talking and it would be so much easier than all that work to open up AM. Of course if AM has chat you can chat and do 3D in Skype AND AM at the same time... while modeling in 3D in skype you can chat in AM and never miss a second of productive time. Put an email application and a beer dispenser with a snack machine in AM and I would never leave the house. ;) Put a game engine in there so you can play games while working in AM. A link to Hulu and watch TV as well. Make it an entertainment console... that also does 3D... Okay I went a bit far with this... forgive me.

Obviously... I don't own an all in one printer/scanner/fax machine either. ;)

p.s. Hash never did put in my feature request for a coffee machine USB hook up that activates with long render times.

-vern

;) I know... I think some of the thinks you said about some of the features A:M has anyway... ;)

The big improvement over Skype / ICQ and similar programms however is:

You get only A:M user talking to you and you dont have to know the identification-number, email-address, etc of the guys/girls you are chatting with. They are using A:M and they're logged in. -> They are in your contact-list.

But yes I think too, that there are more important features, if these features are much trouble to put in...

I just know that from time to time someone asks me a question about how something works and I allways struggle to describe him how it does. With a share desktop / videocapture / image-transfer-tool or anything like that it could be so much easier...

You can argue: "Get his ICQ-Nr. than and do it there..." -> Does he / she have ICQ? Do I want them to know my ICQ-Nr? Do I have to have another programm running? etc.

But as I said before: There are more important things...

*Fuchur*