Hash, Inc. Forums

creating my own rig

petokosun

Animating and rigging are COMPLETELY different. Many animators just want to model a character and then animate with it. The art of a properly rigged character is a discipline within itself, and for most of us, takes a LOOONG time to master. For that reason, most people will look to installing a Hash or TSM2 rig quickly and easily.

The Hash rigs (I believe) allow you to copy-n-paste your characters geometry into a file with the rig already, and then assign and scale accordingly. The Setup Machine 2 is an interface that installs a rig to your specifications (# of fingers, toes, legs, wings, tail) into your character. GOOD LUCK!

Rigging is a challenge but can be very enjoyable when you get into it. There should be some video tutorials around here somewhere and I'm pretty sure that Anzovin Studio had CDs on the topic.

Get to know the basics, the importance of linked/broken chains, kinematics, constraints and then take a closer look at other rigs to see if you can understand what the various bones are for. Ask questions and post examples. :)

• Hash Fellow

Give it a try!

you will certainly learn things along the way.

I'd recommend you try out characters that use other rigs so you get a sense of what some of the different solutions do and you can avoid reinventing a wheel if any of them do something that is exactly like you want.