Hash, Inc. Forums

Wheels turn by fits and starts...

This is a Shaded-Wireframe, very rough cut of the "Moving Foxhole" movie. Cannot figure out why the truck wheels start and stop. The action doesn't seem to be moving so fast that the screen refresh can't keep up. Or is it?

Untitled.mpg

When I use the arrow keys to step through this in QT frame by frame... it is as if some frames are in multiple times. It's weird. I hit the forward arrow several times but the frames only change once. Could there be some issue with frame rates when rendering? For instance in the beginning when the tank first comes into view there are several frames of the tank not moving... then it jumps to it further than it should. Almost as if some frames are "missing" and others repeated.

The "stuttering" isn't a playback issue. It appears to be in the mpg itself.

-vern

When I use the arrow keys to step through this in QT frame by frame... it is as if some frames are in multiple times. It's weird. I hit the forward arrow several times but the frames only change once. Could there be some issue with frame rates when rendering? For instance in the beginning when the tank first comes into view there are several frames of the tank not moving... then it jumps to it further than it should. Almost as if some frames are "missing" and others repeated.

The "stuttering" isn't a playback issue. It appears to be in the mpg itself.

-vern

Thanks Vern. I turned it into an .mpeg because of file size. Here's a shortened clip as an .avi/Final Quality. [approx. 36 Mb] The wheels are doing the same. My computer should be more than up to the task; I had my computer Techs hand-build me a machine tailored to 3D and rendering animations. I'm puzzled because the tank treads move just fine, and that should be an equal render/playback overhead.

TRUCK_WHEELS.zip

My first guess (without looking at the project) would be that your wheel turning action does not extend over the same number of frames as the path action.

Are you using stride length to control action repetition?

Check the turning action, make sure it is set to repeat.

Last idea, are the wheels turning (by some enormous coincidence) 1/8 turn each frame, thus masking the motion in wireframe. (This one is a long shot.)

Are you doing the render like... the real time render? I've never tried the real time render. Is that like AM plays back and is recorded to a movie file? Have you tried a regular type render? Where each frame is "rendered"? If you are using the real time playback... a chor as complex as that one appears to be even on a huge fast machine might experience occasional skipping of frame. Maybe you should turn off "skip frames".

Just guessing.

-vern