Hash, Inc. Forums

3D file (CAD) conversion?

Eric800

I want to convert 3D files from other CAD programs such as Pro Engineer. More specifically i want to convert a file format called IGES that is commonly creaded by Pro E into MDL that can be pulled in by Animation Master. What application do you recomend for converting CAD formats such as this?

I want to convert 3D files from other CAD programs such as Pro Engineer. More specifically i want to convert a file format called IGES that is commonly creaded by Pro E into MDL that can be pulled in by Animation Master. What application do you recomend for converting CAD formats such as this?

There is no programm that can do that for you.

The problem is not, that the CAD-files are less compatible but that all the programms capable of changing the format will convert them into polygones... and as soon as that has happend, we are talking often about millions of that. A:M isnt developed to handle millions of patches (because you wont need that many patches to create the same shape) and there is the problem.

By the way: I had better results with STLs than IGES. Anyway not with A:M.

It would be great if converting from an CAD-fileformat would be possible but till now I dont see a possibility to do that.

The step-by-step if it could work would be this:

- Use Polytrans, DeepExploration or any other converter-tool that can convert IGES into OBJ-files.

- Try to import the obj-file into A:M.

If it is an at least medium-detailled model it will take some time and I coubt that you will get great results.

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

What Fuchur said.

A:M is made to not need polygons at all so it doesn't make substantial accommodation for them.

Convert to OBJ, make sure it's quads and not triangles, and give it time. The OBJ importer often looks like it has frozen at "20%", but if you give it time (maybe all night) it will eventually spit something out, RAM permitting.

I see thanks for the info. Thats too bad. My company uses Pro E exclusively for Mechanical Design (as do many) and STL formats are generally used only to produce SLAs (Stereo Lithographies) as "prototypes". The tool to manufacture the product is generally generated using an IGES since many CNC machines today read in IGES/IGS directly. It would be nice to export a "outer housing" only model for the creation of a 3D movie using the same files that were developed for the R&D of the product (thereby recouping those hours). Perhaps the folks at A:M might look into infomercials or 3D commercials where their software is used to create very cool animated videos. However, being able to pull in the countless engineering hours used to develop the original manufacturing model will likely be prerequisite. I've seen it done before, but I have no idea what software package was used.

Regards

There is no programm that can do that for you.

The problem is not, that the CAD-files are less compatible but that all the programms capable of changing the format will convert them into polygones... and as soon as that has happend, we are talking often about millions of that. A:M isnt developed to handle millions of patches (because you wont need that many patches to create the same shape) and there is the problem.

By the way: I had better results with STLs than IGES. Anyway not with A:M.

It would be great if converting from an CAD-fileformat would be possible but till now I dont see a possibility to do that.

The step-by-step if it could work would be this:

- Use Polytrans, DeepExploration or any other converter-tool that can convert IGES into OBJ-files.

- Try to import the obj-file into A:M.

If it is an at least medium-detailled model it will take some time and I coubt that you will get great results.

*Fuchur*

Which converter do you use?

Thanks

If its just a building with image maps, you might get decent results by importing the converted (iges -> OBJ) model into AM as a PROP. You can't do much with props but move them around/rotate/scale etc in the chor, but they seem to be more responsive than the same model simply imported into AM using the OBJ Importer.

• Admin

Somewhat related...

Don't forget that when importing basic 2D Cad images the DXF importer works really well.

Similarly, 2D outlines saved in .AI format (Adobe Illustrator) can be imported via the AI Wizard.

• 2 weeks later...
Somewhat related...

Don't forget that when importing basic 2D Cad images the DXF importer works really well.

Similarly, 2D outlines saved in .AI format (Adobe Illustrator) can be imported via the AI Wizard.

I have had to do this on a multitude of projects....both into AM and out of AM........ ONE thing that is for sure. Hash is very successful at importing OBJ's for architectural projects......HOWEVER......it will display a seemly lock up at 20% ....Don't fear it is processing still. If the Obj import is over 5 or so meg...it can take quite a while.

I have found that the Hash obj exporter works better than it's importer.

Also there are some other methods.

My brother is an ex General Motors designer here in Detroit (will the last designer in Michigan please shut-off the lights?) he says this 'Pro Engineer' has become an overnight standard in the last 3 years in the design industry. Who makes it, and what makes it better than the other softwares?

I am using Deep Exploration for file-conversation by Right Hemisphere.

Good programm which can handle tones of different file-formats adn convert them in many other formats...

But Polytrans is although a very good (more common) option.

*Fuchur*

My brother is an ex General Motors designer here in Detroit (will the last designer in Michigan please shut-off the lights?) he says this 'Pro Engineer' has become an overnight standard in the last 3 years in the design industry. Who makes it, and what makes it better than the other softwares?

There are really (3) big guns in the 3D CAD world.

PRO-E, UG, and Catia.

Each of them has advantages.

I have used PRO-E for over 15 years designing automotive pistons and the molds to produce them.

It is a parametric solid modeler which means they are feature based and understand the relationship of one feature to the next in a hierarchy similar to bones.

Children rely on parents for information.

Once a master product is constructed the software can easily be instructed to morph the part into new parts by changing the driving dimensions.

In that way, from one master piston I can produce a GM 3800 piston for a car or a Briggs & Stratton for your lawn mower.

What I actually get is about 85% complete.

Drawings can be parametric as well and update ith the model changes.

This process expands into assemblies of entire vehicles. All of which is parametric.

Along with this capability to enforce design rules and calculations thru a product line, PRO-E also has modules for doing Finite element alanysis of the parts or systems.

It is nothing like the old AutoCad electronic drawings.

You can do a fair amount of analysis and proving before you ever make a physical part.

These CAD softwares are not artsy. They are formula and nuber driven.

Even free-form surfaces are like what we do in AM.

It's cool stuff that is fun to use but it's nothing like animation.

I tend to daydream of getting home to AM while I am at work :)

Don't tell the boss that please!

I'd add Solidworks and the one I used at my company was Autodesk's Inventor.

Both these programs are parametrically driven also. I'm sure about Solidworks but I can tell you that Inventor has limited ability but can definitely be used for CNC, molding and engineering design.

What's great is it's completely compatible with the Pro-E format Iges. It also can export to 3DS and DXF.

Maybe not a giant but good 3D modeling programs for the price.

George

You shouldnt start discussing too much about CAD-software here...

Especially if you start comparing it with A:M. This is near to violating the forumrules, even so CAD-Programms != 3d-programms

We are trying to get CAD-data into A:M in this thread, so lets stick with that.

*Fuchur*

Technically, you could export from Inventor into A:M but the results would be no better than any polygon conversions. You'd still be doing so much spline adjusting that it would not be worth it. Much better to just model in A:M.

One point about the CAD programs mentioned here:

The programs TNT mentioned cost thousands of dollars I believe (I know Pro-E is in the thousands at least). Inventor is about $2000.00 and is designed for mechanical applications and would in NO WAY compete with A:M with rendering, organic modeling or even hold a candle to A:M in animation. It was this reason that I added my post without worrying about competing with A:M.

Why would ANYONE pay thousands for basically a mechanical engineering program if your goal is to created CG graphics, animations, and very detailed renders?

It was off topic but I didn't think it would be that big a deal to respond to TNT's post.

George