LaLaLaKellie

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Quite often filmmakers will cheat the effect of night by adding a colored filter to darken/tint the scene. A dark blue is the color that I believe is often used.

One way to get this effect with the ligthing is to change your Fill Light to blue.

In A:M you could cheat this effect by placing a partially transparent blue rotoscope over the top of your scene or using the tint Post Effect.

Within the scene itself using fog might help to convey the falloff of darkness too.

• Hash Fellow

It's hard to show "dark" in a render unless there is some "light" to compare it with.

Here's simple strategy to start out with.

This scene has a strong light ("KeyLight") from above and behind. It's like "the moon". It's slightly blue but it's still 100% intensity. Then add just enough fill light in the front so that some detail can be seen. My one fill light is only at 10% intensity. It is also bluish.

Since it is from behind the moonlight leaves the objects mostly dark but puts a bright rim on the edges of the objects to separate them from dark background objects.

The Keylight is the only shadow casting light.

Even though it is "night", our eyes like to see a full range of values from light to dark. The "moon light" helps do that.

I changed the ground from 100% white to middle gray, and made Thom a more pale yellow. I set the ambiance on all the objects to 0%.

Rodneys' fog suggestion is a good one too. i added just enough to weaken the horizon line a bit.

night0.jpg

here's the project

night03.zip

Lighting gurus will spend much time fine tuning a night scene, adding lots of small lights in places to cheat a few details that the basic lights wont catch, but this a start.

• Admin

Oooo... Ooooo... Here's another tip to complements Robert's.

Once you've got your night scene set up and tinted right add just a hint of color.

A popular technique right now is to add a red color as backlight or front highlight (but not both at the same time). More than blue and red can be used but its usually blue and one other color. It stands to reason the red was utilized to intensify the rage from Tia Lung, the snow tiger.

If you are familiar with the escape sequence from Kung Fu Panda that is about the best example I can think of:

Kung Fu Panda Prison Escape

darknessTwoColor.png

• 2 months later...