Hash, Inc. Forums

2008 rig and BVH

mtpeak2

I was able to setup a pose slider to scale the BVH rig to the model, using expressions. I was finding a slight variation in scale of the BVH rig in various files from the same company. This is probably due to the position of the parent of the BVH bone hierarchy that the 2008 rig is constrained to (different height people in the motion capture suit?). So, the scale pose makes it easier to scale the BVH rig on the fly (changing it in the models user properties as you are playing the animation).

Pretty impressive! Feet are ALWAYS a big issue in all BVH's , I find. Some animation purists shy away from the general use of Motion Capture, but I find as an animator you can always add to, enhance or give supplemental or pre-post actions to a BVH action. I hope your BVH addition to the 2008 rig opens more peoples eyes to the possibilities of BVH.

I have frequently scoured the 'net looking for all and any BVH actions, and have built-up a collection. We 'hashers' should pool our resources of all and any BVH files and make them generally accessible (providing they were not purchased) for further experimentation.

I am enthralled by the 2ndary motion generated by a BVH... not only dynamic constraints but hair. BIG FUN!

I purchaced a large set of bvh files from mr bones some time ago and played with them for a while but couldn't get the rig to stay and just add another file for some reason ,I had to rerig everytime ,plus my lack of nohow didn't help.That pose idea sounds good Mark especially if you can scale with a pose aswell,that would make things a lot easier

Thanks guys.

It's setup for a drag and drop add-on, works pretty well. It doesn't work in v13 though, constraints get broken and can't be fixed for some reason. It works fine in v14 and I haven't tested v15 yet.

Just to be clear Matt, this setup works with the TrueBones bone hierarchy and naming. So if other creators use the same structure, it should work. Other poses could be created for other bone hierarchy and naming.

Here's more examples.

Robby_BVH.mov

Shaggy_BVH.mov

I added another pose setup for another BVH setup. I found a site with around 2500 bvh files. The data came from CMU, someone converted the mocap data to BVH, which I found at another website. There are a few issues with the rotation data of the files (inconsistancies in the hands and feet), but that can easily be fixed with a few adjustments in the action that captures the sequence.

boxing.mov

Matt, here's a link to the BVH files.

Steve, if you send me your model, I'll set you up with the TrueBones setup. I don't have anything ready to release, plus I need to setup instruction on how to use it.

Here's another test of the TrueBones BVH setup. Here I keyframed the scale of the BVH rig (with the pose slider) to help keep the feet planted on the ground (animated the feet as well, still could do more). It worked pretty well if you ask me.

keyscale.mov

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mark do you have a setup for the Setup machine rig ?? I have been looking at your 2008 rig looks great thanks for all the hard work . Haven't had time to try to re rig with it I used the setup machine for quite a while , Thanks again for any info or help Steve

I do, but I only tested it on one model. The only problem with these setups is, once you install them, you need to edit the pose and recompensate all the constraints. I need to find an better way to integrate them or convert the bvh sequences to A:M actions for the different rigs.

I do, but I only tested it on one model. The only problem with these setups is, once you install them, you need to edit the pose and recompensate all the constraints. I need to find an better way to integrate them or convert the bvh sequences to A:M actions for the different rigs.

Is it possible for me to try it ??can you email it or can I download it some where ?? thanks so much