Hash, Inc. Forums

Questions about setting other poses inside another pose

heyvern

So I'm a bit confused. As some of you may know I'm using this rig as the "base" for my rag doll set up. I need to add a single basically "simple" pose to this rig. This pose has constraints only on geometry bones. To work properly in the set up the rig also needs to have all the rig "controls" turned off, IK legs, Spine, etc etc. Basically only the basic poses should be turned on for things like fan bones etc.

What I did was to set these other poses the way I need them in my NEW pose. This makes it easier to turn the other stuff on and off while doing rag doll simulations. What confuses me are some "conflicts". For example I turn off IK legs and set "Rt knee follow foot controller" to 0%. The default is 100%. Even when MY pose is off in the chor or not set in the chor this pose slider will jump to -200% and get "stuck". Also the keys for poses like IK legs etc would "stay" at whatever setting was used in my pose even though it is turned off in the chor.

It would appear that even if my pose is turned off in the chor it has an effect on these poses. Am I wrong to assume that turning off my pose (that has these user properties set) would "turn off" the user property settings in the pose I added to the rig?

I deleted the ENTIRE choreography action for the 2008 rig inside the chor. Even after doing that those values were still reading the settings from the pose I created using the "add" method which causes the "... knee follow foot controller" percentage pose to get "stuck" at -200%.

-vern

Yes it does. Works fine that way. I was doing it that way for most of my experimenting. Turning on and off and setting the pose sliders for the rig in the chor action. Then I got the great idea to put that in my new pose because it was always a pain to go through and set all of those things in the pose sliders in the chor. I thought it would be a time saver if I could turn those poses on and off by clicking one pose.

The only problem really are those two percentage sliders for the knees. That's the only one that acts oddly (-200%) so far but I only just started using all the cool IK and hand/feet controls etc, in the 2008 rig with my rag doll set up. Happy to say IT WORKS! I can use all the cool gizmos and widgets between rag doll simulations. Turning them on and off and "transitioning" between them carefully works well.

-vern

• Hash Fellow

If you need to temporarily turn on Pose A while making Pose B but don't want Pose B to actually key Pose A, then turn off the "Define Relationship" button while you turn on Pose A and the turn it back on while you are making your Pose B stuff.

It's near the top and looks like two chain links.

If you need to temporarily turn on Pose A while making Pose B but don't want Pose B to actually key Pose A, then turn off the "Define Relationship" button while you turn on Pose A and the turn it back on while you are making your Pose B stuff.

Actually I DO want Pose B to key Pose A... and C... and D... and.... When I created the relationship I had to turn all those things off so only the geometry bones are visible and have no other constraints.

-vern

Don't fret too much over this... I have to do more testing.

it may be user error... I'm entitled to some user error... I have to deal with tons of user error from others in my life I should get that privilege. ;)

-vern

You don't need to turn the "Rt/Lf knee follow foot controller" poses to 0%, that is IK only. In FK, the knee controllers follow the geometery bones.

That was my mistake. I was keying that in the pose... so when it got keyed again off or on it would get all wonky and go to like -200% or -100% and get stuck. Works like a charm now (check my rag doll post. IT WORKS!).

Thanks for the help!

The 2008 rig is AMAZING. I love it. It does everything except get up in the morning and make coffee... but I'm putting in a new pose slider for that. ;)

Gosh dangit I wish I wish I had used this rig and model for Change Your Pants. It would have saved me HOURS of work.

-vern