Hash, Inc. Forums

Dynamic/Lag/Secondary Motion Solution Quest

TNT

I have something I would like to do in my rig for my goat.

He has pompoms(longer hair) below his knees that comes down and covers the top of each of his hooves.

It's made of surfaces, not a hair emitter.

I would like to rig the pompom (blue in the attached model) so that it has some dynamic secondary motion.

I've not tried this before.

I presume it can be done with dynamic constraints, lag, or who knows how else.

I would be great if it could use collision detection with the hoof so that is looks simi-realisticly like hair bouncing and swinging around as he walks and runs but does not intersect the hoof.

I have included a project file with the leg bones and the basic weighting of the CP's.

If anyone is interested in showing me how they would approach this I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Goat_Pompom_Rigging.prj post-10558-1239920040_thumb.jpg

First, there is an issue with how the leg is rigged at the moment, Tim. If you turn on and off the "TSM constraints" Pose, there is a lot of movement that I don't think should be happening. Robert would know better than I would about bone placement and setup for TSM2.

For the dynamics you're needing, I'm thinking just a single bone hanging from about the goat's knee with a dynamic constraint on it would probably do the job.

First, there is an issue with how the leg is rigged at the moment, Tim. If you turn on and off the "TSM constraints" Pose, there is a lot of movement that I don't think should be happening. Robert would know better than I would about bone placement and setup for TSM2.

For the dynamics you're needing, I'm thinking just a single bone hanging from about the goat's knee with a dynamic constraint on it would probably do the job.

When I rigged the whole goat I had a couple odd things happen.

The rear knees went all directions. The error was not a mirror from side to side.

Each rear leg twisted differently.

I dug into it and found two bone in each rear leg that were oriented odd.

I rotated them back and they seem to work now and bend the correct directions.

I also noticed the front knees pop forward and the rear knees pop back when you turn on the TSM2 constraints.

If Robert has an idea where to go to fix it that would be great.

I'm taking your advice on teh face rigging and have been going thru your face rigging tuts.

Just watching all the way thru first to get an overall idea.

Then I need to figure out how to apply that to a goats face??????

I keep telling myself "slow and steady wins the race".

Eventually I will get there.

Thanks for the help,

• Hash Fellow

SCpose3.jpg

I'm looking at the TSM thing. If I just run Builder and then Rig a default quadruped skeleton it also gets unexpected leg motion. So something is not quite right.

However you can get your leg back to its original position by pointing the knee control farther back.

This is a "front" quad leg. In my tests the rear quad leg has more problems. I'm trying to diagnose that...

post-544-1239937708_thumb.jpg

I'm looking at the TSM thing. If I just run Builder and then Rig a default quadruped skeleton it also gets unexpected leg motion. So something is not quite right.

However you can get your leg back to its original position by pointing the knee control farther back.

This is a "front" quad leg. In my tests the rear quad leg has more problems. I'm trying to diagnose that...

Thanks Robert.

That looks within my ability.

On the legs.

I had much more problems with the rear legs.

They twisted strange.

I tried several times to re-rig and got different problems but always some problem.

I hope you can figure out what I could not.

Thanks,

• Hash Fellow
On the legs.

I had much more problems with the rear legs.

They twisted strange.

I tried several times to re-rig and got different problems but always some problem.

I hope you can figure out what I could not.

It has something to do with the "back right quad knee control" getting created crooked......

I'm taking your advice on teh face rigging and have been going thru your face rigging tuts.

Thanks for the help,

The standalone versions of the FACE controls has a version that doesn't include the mouth, nose, jowls, etc...it does have the eyes, eyelids, tongue and jaw. The Quad version of the Squetch Rig has a setup for floppy ears that can be added as well. So, you could use that to set up the ears, eyes, tongue and jaw, then, use muscle-based Poses for the rest of the face...that's how the Hippogyraf was done.

Slow and steady usually works best.

---------------

EDIT

---------------

If you go with the FACE setup, shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you a link to the latest version...it's not posted yet.

When I said TSM2 was easy, i didn't know you were doing a quadruped. ;)

At least I don't feel quite as bad if the masters are stumped.

I had no idea what I was coming up against.

I hope we can still find an answer. to the popping.

I did get the knees aimed the right direction.

Thanks so much for all the time you give to helping out the helpless......or is it hopeless.....

Thanks for the help,

The standalone versions of the FACE controls has a version that doesn't include the mouth, nose, jowls, etc...it does have the eyes, eyelids, tongue and jaw. The Quad version of the Squetch Rig has a setup for floppy ears that can be added as well. So, you could use that to set up the ears, eyes, tongue and jaw, then, use muscle-based Poses for the rest of the face...that's how the Hippogyraf was done.

Slow and steady usually works best.

---------------

EDIT

---------------

If you go with the FACE setup, shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you a link to the latest version...it's not posted yet.

Hey David,

I think I'd like to try your FACE rig in simple form.

I don't see this guy talking much.

More chewing, running, ramming, and other KID stuff.

OK, it was a shameless pun.

Please send my the FACE.

Are you wanting to do this outside the forum?

I think I got it.

Give this rear leg fix a try and let me know what happens.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=298694

Hey thanks.

I'll give this a look when I get home.

I found the first two bones but it looks like I have one more to get turned the right direction in the rear legs.

Any luck with the popping knees when we turn on the TSM constraints?

• Hash Fellow
Any luck with the popping knees when we turn on the TSM constraints?

Just pose the knee control bone to create the pose of the leg you want.

If that isn't working, show an example so i can see.

You never turn TSM constraints on and off during the course of an animation so there will never be a pop.

Really, you should turn them on in the model and save it that way so you don't have to turn them on in each animation.

Hey David,

I think I'd like to try your FACE rig in simple form.

I don't see this guy talking much.

More chewing, running, ramming, and other KID stuff.

OK, it was a shameless pun.

Please send my the FACE.

Are you wanting to do this outside the forum?

I'll shoot you a link late tonight, Tim.