Hash, Inc. Forums

Where are my libraries?

tomcopp

I've just installed AM 15.0 from a CD. I started reading the manual, wishing to learn the ropes, and one of the first steps is to find a model in the Library. But I have no models in the Library! The tabs are certainly there, for Models, Action, Materials, etc. But there's nothing inside any of the sub-libraries.

I checked my CD (or is it a DVD?), and in a folder called 'Data', I can see all of these Libraries, lots of models and actions and so forth in there.

I re-installed AM once again. Same result. Nothing put into the Libraries.

This is a Mac OSX version. I'm running Leopard.

Can anyone help me with this? All I want to do is get started, and I cannot even do that.

I did try dragging all the models from the 'Data' folder into the Library folder of AM, but that didn't help, still invisible.

Many thanks for your help.

Tom

First, welcome to the forums and to Animation Master! There are some quirks regarding the libraries on the Mac. If no one else steps up with a reply before I get home from work I'll help you out. I'm on a pc at the office and a Mac at home and I have A:M installed on both, so I can't help you til later.

Here goes. I hope this makes sense!

First of all, in the Applications folder will be the AM app folder, called Animation Master 15.0.

Inside that is a folder called Data. (There is also a folder called "Libraries" at the top level of the app folder. You can ignore that one.)

Inside the Data folder are a number of folder called Actions, Choreographies, Examples, Images, Libraries, Materials, Models, Post Effects, Projects, Sound Effects and Tutorials.

Inside that Libraries folder should be one file called Hash CD Library.lbr.

Check inside all the other folders and make sure the appropriate content is in each of them. If this stuff is missing I think you should be able to drag the files directly from the cd.

Now, open Animation:Master. Under the Tools menu, click Options. Go to the Folders tab. there's a pull down menu. Go to Libraries. There may be more than one entry there, but make sure there is one that points to the Data folder, i.e., /Applications/Animation Master 15.0/Data/Libraries. If not, click on the New button, next to the button with the red X on it. Navigate to the Data folder where your libraries are. You could probably also click the "Up" arrow to move it up in the list, but that doesn't seem to make a difference in my case.

Now click OK and restart A:M, and see if the libraries are present in the Libraries panel.

One last caveat, the Libraries file can get corrupted. If this doesn't work for you let us know here, and just remember, "Learning curve" is a euphemism!

AM_Options.jpg

Hisako, the operation is basically the same. Library content should be in the Data folder in your app folder. From there it's the same, open Options from the Tools menu and click on the Libraries tab. Make sure in that list is a path to the Data folder.

I had a similar problem on my system. No amount of fiddling with the library settings in the preferences worked for me. I had to edit the library file by hand in a text editor. If you open that file in a plain text editor like Jedit or Notepad whatever you can sort of see how it's put together.

-vern

Awhile back I was having trouble with the libraries on my Mac and posted to A:M Reports about it, and Steffan had me send him my .lbr file and it had gotten corrupted somehow. Loaded it up and everything has been fine since. But how a simple file like that gets messed up I don't know.

Anyway I know it can happen and if it's *legal* I'd be happy to send a copy to anyone on the Mac whose libraries are acting up. I don't think that would be a problem, would it?

I've never opened it up in a text editor though.