Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Nidaros Cathedral

agep

Hello friends

So I have finally started a personal project I have wanted to do for a very long time. It has been put on hold several times due to lack of reference. The model I'm working on is Nidaros Cathedral (Nidarosdomen), which is an very beautiful cathedral in downtown Trondheim (20min bus travel from my home). I have just started modeling the west front. Even at this point I have no clue on how much work I have taken upon :P But I love every part of the process

from Wikipedia

Nidaros Cathedral, considered the most significant church in Norway, is located in Trondheim. It was the cathedral of the Norwegian archdiocese, from its establishment in 1152 until its abolition in 1537. Since the Reformation, it has been the cathedral of the Lutheran bishops of Trondheim or Nidaros. The architectural style of the cathedral is romanesque and gothic. It was an important destination for pilgrims coming from all of Northern Europe.

from Wikipedia

Work on the cathedral started in 1070 and was finished sometime around 1300. The cathedral was badly damaged by fires in 1327 and again in 1531. The nave west of the transept was destroyed and was not rebuilt until the restoration in early 1900s. In 1708 it burned down completely except for the stone walls. It was struck by lightning in 1719, and was again ravaged by fire. Major rebuilding and restoration of the cathedral started in 1869, initially led by architect Heinrich Ernst Schirmer, and nearly completed by Christian Christie. It was officially completed in 2001. Maintenance of the cathedral is an ongoing process.

updated 10.09.10

nidarosdomen_lighting_002_low.jpg nidarosdomen_lighting_003_low.jpg

updated 01.28.10

nidarosdomen_lighting1.jpg nidarosdomen_lighting5.jpg

nidarosdomen_lighting6.jpg nidarosdomen_lighting7.jpg

nidarosdomen1.jpg

nidarosdomen3.jpg

nidarosdomen1.jpg

nidarosdomen3.jpg

nidarosdomen4.jpg

nidarosdomen6.jpg

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stunning! and sure to get stunninger...er...more stunning!

EDIT: I just went to the wiki and saw the photo - YES - you are a crazy person! And that's why I don't believe the part about you "not knowing" how much work you're getting into...only a madman...

Edited by NancyGormezano

Thank you so much for the nice comments and support!

Looks great! Will it have gargoyles? That's my favorite part.
I'll try the best i can. But since it is hundreds of unique statues on the cathedral I have to cut some corners. Those that will be made is going to be very simplified

Don't suppose I could ask to have a peek at the wireframe could I? ;)
I'll add a wireframe with the next update

Lovely modeling ,do you do this to a scale ,just wanderd what sort of size it was
I'm modelling it 1:1 in the modelling window. The west front is about 40 meters wide

But since it is hundreds of unique statues on the cathedral I have to cut some corners. Those that will be made is going to be very simplified

Wait a minute, aren't you the guy that beveled every ladder step on that aircraft carrier? "Cutting corners" to you probably means leaving the eyelashes off the statues!

This is looking beautiful, I'll be checking back.

Thank you guys! This is going to be a insanly patchheavy project. Currently its at about 70K, but I estimate its going to end up at around 400K :P

I am always asking myself where you get the patience from to handle that many patches with such care and understanding... amazing Stian!

*Fuchur*

Looking spectacular Stian! You're patches are always so neat and tidy.

You model got me pondering.....70k patches is going to be resource heavy. Imagine if you could make the flat patches (that need no bias) into "non-patches". So it would delete all the bias and magnitude data. That might reduce the strain on resources.

But it's just pondering. Carry on. :)

Once again thank you for the comments guys!

Just an minor update today. Have modeled the ornament around the glass painting.

Best regards

Stian

nidarosdomen0.jpg

I just now looked at the photos of the cathedral. Even with "simplifying" the statuary this is way more than just mechanical modeling. I would guess that more than half your work will be organic modeling. Do you plan to utilize displacement or bump maps as shortcuts? It will be interesting to see how this evolves.

I'm amazed with the level of detail you achieve! Have you got any tutorials out there or tips for newbies that are suffering like me? :) I imagine with the imense workload you have with this project alone you don't have much spare time? I'd love to know how you modelled the huge stained glass window. A lotta work with the lathe and duplicator?

Thank you guys!

Have you got any tutorials out there or tips for newbies that are suffering like me?
Not really I'm afraid. The modelling itself isn't that complicated. it is having good referance images and or blueprints and time which is the keys in a project like this

I imagine with the imense workload you have with this project alone you don't have much spare time?
And I have a very understanding and patient girlfriend;)

I'd love to know how you modelled the huge stained glass window. A lotta work with the lathe and duplicator?
You are very close. Sweeper and Duplicator. I drew the pattern with a spline, then swept a shape along it.

I worked some more on the cathedral yesterday, let me know what you think

nidarosdomen0.jpg nidarosdomen1.jpg

nidarosdomen2.jpg nidarosdomen3.jpg

• Admin

I'm just getting caught up on my forum reading and what a wonderful project you've got going on.

If you were missing a brick or two how on earth would we know!?!! ;)

Incredible detail as aways Stian.

Impressive.

What amazes me in your work is how well you "maintain" spline consistency over a project... by the end of big project I've stopped trying to keep things all neat and tidy. Case in point... the dang terminator model. The parts I did first were PERFECT.. smooth rounded bevels, everything lined up.. frugal splinage... by the end I was just whacking out shapes and didn't give a dang bout perfect bevels or patch count... or dead end splines... 3 pointers etc. ;)

I guess it is all the copy/paste and repeating shapes. Also the arches and "perfect" curves. Do you use a lot of math to get things "just right"? Or do you "wing it"? For instance I often will create a circle with a lot of points so I can "cut out" a section... or sometimes I will use a large circle as a guide and match a part of that curve by tweaking biases of the mesh.

-vern

Nice work Stian. What's the cp count right now? Are you modeling parts and using an action to put them together as usual?
At this point there is 140000 patches in the model, and the model is broken up into 9 parts and assembled into an action as you suspected

What amazes me in your work is how well you "maintain" spline consistency over a project...
Looks can deceive? Considering the patchcount, I would guess that many unnecessary patches could probably be deleted ;)

Do you use a lot of math to get things "just right"? Or do you "wing it"? For instance I often will create a circle with a lot of points so I can "cut out" a section... or sometimes I will use a large circle as a guide and match a part of that curve by tweaking biases of the mesh.
I usually just draw the spline (path) trying to match the blueprint, then tweaking the bias

Here is a new update, I have started working on the towers

nidarosdomen2.jpg nidarosdomen3.jpg

Amazing work. Like a few other people here, I've just seen a picture of the cathedral and my jaw dropped (both in its beauty and in the sheer enormity of your project!). Thats a great tip about constructing the model in an action. I'm wondering, down the road, how you're gonna finish the model. Whether you'll apply a decal or use a material? As always...very interested in seeing how you progress. Cant wait to see the next update.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I'm wondering, down the road, how you're gonna finish the model. Whether you'll apply a decal or use a material? As always...very interested in seeing how you progress. Cant wait to see the next update.
I'm most likely to use materials, probably containing large tileable images

It has been a busy week, and I haven't had much time to work on this, however, I managed to find some time to do some more splining on the towers :)

nidarosdomen0.jpg

Man Stian you are an incredible master of spline manipulation. This project is coming out awesome (as all your stuff does).

I can't wait to see this thing textured and rendered. Is this for a client or just some thing to challenge yourself? If it's something you decided to do, what made you decide to model it?

It's looking great!!!!

George

Is this for a client or just some thing to challenge yourself? If it's something you decided to do, what made you decide to model it?
Its just a challenge for myself. The more detailed the project is, the more I want to do it. Nidaros Cathedral is a project I have always wanted to do, and since I live not so far from it, its easy to study it and take reference photos of it.

Here is a new update:

Wowzers! If you get chance, it would be interesting for us to see a photo of the church to see how far you are going with this. It's a beautiful building AND model, for sure. When you copy-and-pasted the towers, did you think 'i bet they wish they had copy/paste-ability when they built this!'

• 4 weeks later...