Hash, Inc. Forums

Toon Tall Ship

juelsd

I am ready to put on some decals, but I am afraid that it will bog down loading of the model when I open it. Any ideas for what makes a quick load? I am also looking for ideas to make it bob realistically in the water.

post-7-1076536181.jpg

Well, decals are actually faster to render than fancy procedural ones, so don't worry about that too much. I don't know what speed your computer's at, but when I have a project or a model that's loading slowly or the tool that lets you rotate around your object to work on it, I generally switch to wireframe, or lower the resolution (on Windows computers it's page up=higher res., page down=lower res.)

Hope that helps

-Andrew

That's a fairly lean model. Are you referring to bogging down in A:M or the game environment?

Water - water everywhere and it takes forever to render. Will Sutton offered a very nice ocean combiner material he made for one of his projects. I think a general search for ocean might produce the original message.

Bobbing and rolling on the ship could be done using a variety of methods. Probably the best would be straight animation - which offers maximum control. If the motion is cyclic then an action with stride length would work. Place it on a path and it would be like a skiing rocking horse.

A path system using a stern and aft bone could be setup to follow paths. With 3 paths and a few bones. A ship rig could be made to do anything the path dictated.

Project file:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank_h/sea-rig.zip

==============================================

Umm.. There are more complex dynamic rigging solutions that utillize the surface features of the mesh. This would be very restrictive, but could use a water surface made of a cloth spring system. The path could also be cloth and drapped over invisble controlling geometries such as crest, wakes and breakers. I suppose forces could be added to add extra turbulence to the surface as well.

A:M has all of these features and with lots of patients, many hours of experimentation and a bit of imagination they might be able to do such a simulation.

There is also the expression system to explorer as well. Unfortunatly, this potentially powerful feature is not comprehended by left brain challeged people like me.

If memory serves me right, Marcel Brinkman is working on a reactive water plugin that reacts to external objects.

Not much to add. I love the model. I love tall ships, even small Toonish ones. I have a pretty nice carronade modelled that you may be interested in but it's probably more complex than the ship. It was and is my first real model. My comp is pathetic and I have given up until I can update. I am running a P2 400MHz. How funny is that. I also have a simple model of a boarding pike. If you are interested let me know.

Wade