Hash, Inc. Forums

any chances of improvement

Master chief

• Hash Fellow

You can greatly simplify the animation of any rotating object by going to its properties and right-click transform>rotate>convert driver to and change the bone to "Euler" instead of the default Quaternion mode

You can set one key at frame 0 and another at the end for (number of turns you want X 360°) and A:M will do the whole thing for you. This should eliminate the need for the MUFOOF technique

OR... you can set frame 0 to 0° rotation and frame 1 to anything, say 90°, and then in the PWS change the "post extrapolation method" (Squiggly gray line to right of item) to "accumulate". There are 3 squiggles. You want the last one.

A:M will automatically add 90° (or whatever) on each successive frame.

Anyway, I've been thinking one could use a blurry transparency map to simulate a fast moving rotor. I made the map with radial blur in Photoshop. It's a 2 blade rotor that I set to rotate a little less than 90° per frame for that severe strobing effect you see in movies. There's no real motion blur here:

rotortest03H.mov

Helicopter02.zip

Tip: If you choose a codec besides "Animation" (like MPEG4 or Sorenson3) you will get much smaller file sizes for posting movies. Format>SaveOptions>set