Hash, Inc. Forums

Pass the Ball

TheSpleen

I agree with Largento - It worked fine with all different balls - don't limit yourself so much.

It doesn't have to be about character animation either - one might choose to do a newton chain reaction simulation initiated by the incoming ball, exploding balls, fireballs, liquid balls, blob balls, flock balls, music note balls, ball lightning, lens flare balls, kitty hair balls and on and on...

Last time (2005 - yikes was it that long ago?) there were only 15-16 participants with 21? clips final - people say they're going to participate, and then drop out. I would guess more people would finish if it's just done for fun, and accomodates the interest, skill level of each participant.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks like it's going to be a hoot!

Tons of great ideas and lots of people interested.

Maybe once the rules are set even more people will join in.

I hope we get every one from newbie to Hash Fellow participating.

So who gets the noble task to set the final rules anyway?

I'd say whoever is going to compile all the clips but thats just my humble opinion.

Can't wait to get started.

To recap to newcomers... it has been decided we should do another 'PASS THE BALL' and we are looking for a HUGE TURNOUT!

WHAT IS IT?

The 'Pass the Ball' was not a competition, it was a short movie made by the Hash forum in 2006. The criteria was simple... have a ball, or similar object- enter from frame LEFT, have your character(s) interact with it for a few seconds, and have it exit frame RIGHT. Will Sutton then cut the entries together with some music and came-up with this:

PASS THE BALL

http://www.hash.com/amfilms/search/entry.php?entry=1080

I have volunteered to collect and compile the clips (Unless someone else really wants to.). We have a musician who has volunteered music... at this point we are having a healthy/positive conversation about the simple rules... those being:

-participants will make a unique cartoon/movie with the ball entering screen-left(your left) interacting in the screen (whatever you want) and exiting screen right.

-participants can enter as many as they want.

-movie parameters: 864W X 486H @ 30 frames-per-second (3 second minimum/9 maximum)... we will place this on Youtube HD. The final copy will also be made available at D1 letterboxed resolution for those wishing to burn a DVD.

- A 'ball' will be made available as a common file. However, those wishing to use their OWN model as the 'ball' can do so.

-Movie files will be sent via electronic delivery by JUNE 1, 2009. ( to a yet undetermined address)

If these rules sound 'jiggy' with everyone...away we go!

24 interested so far!

the spleen

the kamps

Robcat

Matt Stanford

Gizmo

MJL

Steve392

Xtaz

agep

Photoman

Jequed

Nino Banano

Luuk Steiner

Dhar

Will Sutton/Zandoria

Nimblepix

Largento

Johnl3d

Paul Forwood

Nancy Gorezano

Rodney

TNT

kwhitaker

John Bigboote

Now we have many opinions about the rules, wouldn't it be time to post the official rules, or is that still undecided? Except for the resolution which we know.

I'm making some time free this weekend so it would be nice to know for sure if I have to use my own ball, or a standard ball etc...

Do we post all entries here, or do we have to mail it to the one who edits the final video?

Mike, I see no reason why you could not use V13 or V14. But we want to see as many V15 versions as possible of course.

Now we have many opinions about the rules, wouldn't it be time to post the official rules, or is that still undecided? Except for the resolution which we know.

I'm making some time free this weekend so it would be nice to know for sure if I have to use my own ball, or a standard ball etc...

I'll keep posting this as people keep needing it...

_____________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT IS IT?

The 'Pass the Ball' was not a competition, it was a short movie made by the Hash forum in 2006. The criteria was simple... have a ball, or similar object- enter from frame LEFT, have your character(s) interact with it for a few seconds, and have it exit frame RIGHT. Will Sutton then cut the entries together with some music and came-up with this:

PASS THE BALL

http://www.hash.com/amfilms/search/entry.php?entry=1080

I have volunteered to collect and compile the clips (Unless someone else really wants to.). We have a musician who has volunteered music... at this point we are having a healthy/positive conversation about the simple rules... those being:

THE RULES:

-participants will make a unique cartoon/movie with the ball entering screen-left(your left) interacting in the screen (whatever you want) and exiting screen right.

-movie parameters: 864W X 486H @ 30 frames-per-second (3 second minimum/9 maximum)... we will place this on Youtube HD. The final copy will also be made available at D1 letterboxed resolution for those wishing to burn a DVD.

- A 'ball' will be made available as a common file. However, those wishing to use their OWN model as the 'ball' can do so.

-Movie files will be sent via electronic delivery by JUNE 1, 2009. ( to a yet undetermined address)

________________________________________________________________________________

PS--- I was hoping someone step-forward and contribute a BALL, for those who want to standardize. If not...I'll contribute my stylized Baseball from the title of the last 'PTB'...

THE RULES:

________________________________________________________________________________

The rules are ok for me :)

• 5 weeks later...

I've started on one (I'm coming in a bit late..but I plan on playing hooky on my second job to get it finished) and have a couple of ideas for a few more, though I'm not guarenteeing they will get done.

just outta curiosity, how many completed entries so far?

• 3 weeks later...
is it too late to join in on the fun? i may have an old version but i still got the stuff ;P

and i'll ask this now but its doesn't have to be passed by a actual character does it?

go for it.

no required characters.

ball left then pass right.

I've got one coming, going through final render now and over an hour to go on it. My original plan didn't work out too well since I'm not good at character animation, so had to come up with a different idea. Not sure how big the final file is going to be-- the test without multipass or motion blur was under 4 meg for a 6 second clip, hopefully the final will be under 10.

Yeah...GOOD IDEA Spleenster!

I would think *any* style would be welcomed...we all want to look very diverse from one another as opposed to all looking the same.

I think we achieved "diverse" lol

Announcements