Hash, Inc. Forums

mat stretching with model

Master chief

OK i have been my self trying to get my "tentacle" to work and i noticed a problem , when a material is applied and the tentacle extends the material simple grows it dose not stretch , is there a setting i can use to stop it from doing this or is this going to require a lot of extra work to manually set

I could be wrong here, but I think you will need to use a decal for what you are describing.

to make a material scale with your patches, would require, just that, actively changing the scale of the material. Depends on the model and movements, but this would be (could be) quite complicated and may not be practical.

OK i have been my self trying to get my "tentacle" to work and i noticed a problem , when a material is applied and the tentacle extends the material simple grows it dose not stretch , is there a setting i can use to stop it from doing this or is this going to require a lot of extra work to manually set

Untitled_1.jpg

Make sure your material is set to "Global Axis" "Off"

It should stretch and deform with your patches during animation (NOT modeling.)

See project and video below.

tentacleshow.prj

tentacle.mov

When I was playing with materials for smoke I noticed that my material seemed to be "stretching" based on the size of the patches. In areas with long patches the material was stretched more than in areas with very small tightly packed patches. Maybe it is the type of combiner. I was using a perlin combiner for my experiments.

-vern